Home Forums GENERAL Amplifiers

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

What is the difference between using Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers(RSOA) or MZM(Mach-Zehnder Modulator) in a design. Does both of these amplifiers give same results or not.Also explain the limited bandwidth of RSOA if i am not mistaken.
      with regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello zulkarnian,
      First of all i would like to mention that RSOA and MZ modulator are two different things. One is amplifier and the other is modulator that modulated the optical signal with the information signal. No doubt , both can be put into various applications and differently like MZ can be used to design a switch etc but it is primarily used as modulator. However, RSOA can be used as a modulator but i have not heard of MZ being used as an amplifier.

Regards

+8
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Here i am posting a link of the topic where Damian has uploaded two osd files suggesting Reflective semiconductor optical amplifier ( RSOA) being used for different applications ( being used as modulator). Please refer to the post and go through it and i hope you get a clear distinction between the two.

Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers [Optical System]

I hope it helps you to some extent.
      Regards

+7

HI ALL
      I agree with aabid baba. Both the components are different if one is modulator the other is amplifier..
      Zulkarnain i will suggest you to go through Damian sirS’ post and it will be very convenient for you to differentiate between the two.. You may also go through the “component help” of both the components which is a basic thing you can do. It would give u an idea for sure.
      Thanks and regards

+8
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant
      Tanveer
      Participant

Hello Zulkarnain…
      As clearly explained by aaabid baba the difference between the two, i would like suggest you to go through one of the previous post here i am attaching the link of that where Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers are already discussed…

Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers [Optical System]

More allistu had briefly explained Mach-Zehnder Modulator in the previous posts…..link of that is

Mach-Zehnder Modulator

Hope it helps
      best regards

+1
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Zulkarnain..

As mentioned already, these are two different things, employed for two entirely different purposes.

Regards.

+1
      Tanveer
      Participant

Hello Zulkarnain…..
      For the bandwidth of Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers you should go through these posts

Testing RSOA modulation bandwidth?

performance & Bandwidh limitation in RSOA

hope it helps
      with regards
      tanveer

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Zulkarnain..

As mentioned already,Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers(RSOA) or MZM(Mach-Zehnder Modulator) are two completely different things,Also Ranjeet has mentioned it correctly that One is amplifier and the other is modulator that modulated the optical signal with the information signal.

Regards

Sahil Singh

+4
      ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES.
      I UNDERSTOOD THAT BOTH Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers(RSOA) or MZM(Mach-Zehnder Modulator) CAN BE USED AS MODULATORS AND ONLY RSOA AS AMPLIFIER.

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

I read somewhere about the limited bandwidth of Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers(RSOA). Will someone please explain this?

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

Also as i am able to understand that rsoa is acting as both modulator as well as amplifier but MZM acts as modulator alone,so by using rsoa in a design should give better results as compared to MZM.
      But using MZM in my design it is giving good results as compared to rsoa. Can anyone explain why is this happening in my design?
      with regards…

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Zulkarnain..

Well, it is because of your post I got to know that RSOA could be used as a modulator as well. So thankyou for that.

And as far as your confusion is concerned, here is the link to a relevant post :

performance & Bandwidh limitation in RSOA

You can check reply #18246 and see if that paper he has mentioned helps.

Regards
      Naazira.

ZULKARNAIN
        Participant

hi naziraa ….
        you are always welcum…
        with regards

jyoti raina
      Spectator

hi all.. i hv a question plz can u people tel me what is the difference between different amplifiers present in the optical library of the optical amplifiers..they all are optical then why do we have separate optical amplifiers there..wht is the difference between those and the other amplifiers like EDFA raman etc ect..
      i wil be thankful to u people.

+1
        ZULKARNAIN
        Participant

hi jyoti raina…
        i think this topic has already been discussed on the forum,so you should refer to the same for your query.
        For your reference i am attaching a link which might be of some help to you.In this topic one of the forum master has suggested to use raman amplifier as it gives better results than other amplifiers and the reason maybe the gain flattering phenomena in raman amplifier and usage of external pump.

Optical Amplifiers

with regards…

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

hi,
      The component simulates a reflective semiconductor optical amplifier (RSOA) model with bulk material as the active element. This SOA model is based on the numerical solution of a set of coupled differential equations that describe the interaction between the carrier density and photon rates along the active layer length. The rate and propagation equations solved in this model are similar to the ones described in the Wideband Traveling Wave SOA technical background, however the value of the injection current here is considered as an input signal allowing the modulation of the optical signal by the SOA.
      This component also considers the possibility of sensing the differences in voltage produced at the bias electrode of the single-section SOA.

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi ranjeet sir. i am not using RSOA..
        i want to know the difference between the amplifiers different amplifiers present in the optical library of the optical amplifiers.. i hv seen many papers and examples using either edfa or raman amplifier or optical amplifier..nw my confusion is which optical amplifier to use bcz thr r many amplifiers in that folder..so plz help in that.
        thanx in advance

+1
        ZULKARNAIN
        Participant

hi ranjeet kumar…
        thank you for explaining the difference between the two devices.
        with regards..

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Yeah. Jyoti . A lot of people have a confusing in that regard. A number of discussions ate already available on optisystem forum for the same.
      I suggest you to go through those.

Regards.
      Naazira.

jyoti raina
        Spectator

thanx fr the help. i wil try to search and look at those to understand the main difference. thnx agn

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi Jyoti,
      For simple Wdm system we could use EDFA amplifiers in addition to this we should use symmetric compensation technique to get better results as it compensate the losses in fiber caused by dispersion.
      In long haul DWDM sytsem we should use hybrid (EDFA+ Raman) amplifier for better results.
      We should use different amplifiers according to requirement as both amplifiers have advantage and disadvantages as

Advantages of EDFA
      EDFA has high pump power utilization (>50%)
      Directly and simultaneously amplify a wide wavelength band (>80nm) in the 1550nm region, with a relatively flat gain
      Gain in excess of 50 dB
      Low noise figure suitable for long haul applications

Disadvantages of EDFA
      Size of EDFA is not small
      It can not be integrated with other semiconductor deviecs

Advantages of Raman amplifier
      Variable wavelength amplification possible
      Compatible with installed SM fiber
      Can result in a lower average power over a span, good for lower crosstalk and Very broadband operation may be possible

Disadvantages of Raman amplifiers
      High pump power requirements, high pump power lasers have only recently arrived
      Sophisticated gain control needed
      Noise is also an issue

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet Kumar,

Thanks for summarising the various important advantages and disadvantages of the raman amplifiers… Indeed the information provided by you is very helpful… Appreciate your efforts…

Regards

Sahil Singh

+1
      Manoj Kumar
      Participant
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.