Home Forums KNOWLEDGE Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers [Optical System]

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Question:

I am researching reflective semiconductor amplifiers (RSOA) applied in WDM passive networks. I am having trouble understanding how to use the component in OptiSystem, could you provide some examples? What kind of input does the Reflective SOA accept?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Answer:

I have enclosed two examples of RSOA designs. One example, “RSOA_Modulator.osd” demonstrates how to setup an RSOA being used as a modulator. If you keep the input current constant, then you can also model the RSOA as a standard line amplifier. The electrical values are defined in “a.u.” and are read as is, so a value of 0.05 is viewed as 50 mA (the model assumes an input of current).

The other example, named “RSOA_DownstreamTransmission.osd”, implements the Reflective SOA in a simple system design, which includes a BER calculation.

Debajit Saha
      Participant

Hello, I am not able to open these files. Showing “failed to open from storage”. Please help me out.

Damian Marek
        Participant

What version of OptiSystem do you have?

amresh ashok madavi
      Participant

I am using OptiSystem 7. I am not able to open this file.

Vidhya V J
      Participant

Dear Damian,

In the component propeties of RSOA component available in Optisystem 13.0, the ‘injection current’ property does not exist. Could you please tell how the injection current can be adjusted in RSOA based on the available properties such as ‘Input facet reflectivity’ , ‘output facet reflectivity’ etc . For ‘SOA’ and ‘TWSOA’ “injection current” property is available in the component properties. Please explain how the biasing of RSOA an be adjusted.

Another doubt is regarding the modulating input signal given to the RSOA. Only NRZ coding of the data signals is supported ? OFDM is not supported ?

Please reply. It would be great if you could help me with this.

Damian Marek
        Participant

The injection current is actually an input to the component. The default component has two port on the top of it that are used to input and output electrical signals. Look at the component help for more details.

The RSOA does not interpret the input as a certain modulation format, so there is no limitation on modulation type.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Damian said well and gave the correct answer.I read the tutorial and it is mentioned there about injection current as
      “The component simulates a reflective semiconductor optical amplifier (RSOA) model with bulk material as the active element [1]. This SOA model is based on the numerical solution of a set of coupled differential equations that describe the interaction between the carrier density and photon rates along the active layer length. The rate and propagation equations solved in this model are similar to the ones described in the Wideband Traveling Wave SOA technical background, however the value of the injection current here is considered as an input signal allowing the modulation of the optical signal by the SOA.
      This component also considers the possibility of sensing the differences in voltage produced at the bias electrode of the single-section SOA”

Vidhya V J
      Participant

Thank you so much for the replies. I am working on the design of RSOA modulators in RoF systems. Can some one please share me your knowledge on the bandwidth adjustment of the RSOA component in optisystem ? I could find only the ‘gain bandwidth’ property in the component.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.