Home Forums GENERAL simulink interface

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Is there any provision to interface simulink with optisystem or only matlab codes can be interfaced with optoisystem. how can we interface simulink with optisystem?

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi Burhan NUm Mina llah,
      I guess there is such provision of interfacing simulink becuase i had seen a link mentioning so.
      Currently i guess we can only interface Matlab modules with optisystem 14 if you check the optisystem library there is only Matlab interface in the library.
      One thing i can tell you is that if you are currently working on Matlab , you have an optical communication library there too (newer version). If you could somehow translate your simulink module to Matlab module, it can prove helpful for you. Hope it helps.

Best regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Burhan Num Mina llah,
      https://optiwave.com/resources/latest-news/optisystem-10-0-june-2011/

Here is the link mentioning interface with Simulink and Matlab. This is what it mentions ” The latest version of OptiSystem, features a number of new enhancements to address co-simulation with Mathworks Matlab and Simulink.”

I am sure you can easily co-simulate with Simulink because its optisystem 14 time. 🙂

regards

alistu
      Participant

Hi Burhan,

The OptiSystem co-simulation with Simulink is possible, and it can be done in older versions than version 14. But this co-simulation has to be done with Matlab interface, meaning that you need to write a Matlab code (to be used for the Matlab component) which calls simulink in its program.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,
      burhann your topic of discussion has been some discussed in earlier posts. for convience i am attaching the links
      1.https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/matlab-optisystem-co-simulation/
      2.https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/matlab-simulink/

hope you can get something out of them

there is also a link below, which is itself provided by optiwave, but it shows ACCESS DENIED.

https://optiwave.com/download-1/optisystem-simulink-co-simulation/

with regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi alistu,
      I want to bring it to your notice that in MATLAB too we can perform simulations for optical transmission. Here what Burhan could do is to somehow translate the Simulink module into MATLAB code and then create a MATLAB module for interfacing. That way she can avoid using older version of optisystem too. I am not saying it can be possible but Burhan can try atleast.

regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aabid,

The use of Matlab as an interface between OptiSystem and the simulink can easily be perceived from my above comment. You mentioned it is a capability of the latestr version of the OptiSystem, but I remember it being discussed for the former OptiSystem versions it=n the forums.

Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi All…
      Does Co-Simulation mean calling a MATLAB component in OptiSystem and then simulating it?

Regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Naazira,

Co-simulation usually means to use a Matlab component as an interface between Matlab and OptiSystem, and use a Matlab program that can be written or addressed in the corresponding Matlab component. However, Matlab can also call OptiSystem under some circumstances and there are examples of this type of simulation also.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,

i want to clear that i have only listen of a of matlab component in matlab. i.e a component that can perform some particular function .

for example: AND two digital signals

i am posting this naazira you were talking of adding some matlab code as a parameter of some component in optisysteem

with regards

Hi all

Actually the problem i am facing is that i need to design the ethernet part of my project in matlab and if i take the help from simulink as if already has some signal generators ets. I wanted to call that block as a whole in optisystem. Since there is a matlab component present on optisystem in which we can call our code but i was asking that is there any such simulink interfacing component present in optisystem in which i can call that simulink model as a whole without converting it to a matlab code again.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello everyone,
      Burhan i would like to tell you that you cannot directly call a simulink module into optisystem. If you notice we just have Matlab library present in the latest version as i see but yeah chances are there may be there is some window of calling sinmulink module or something like that.
      I am just saying it because the link i posted earlier clearly mentions co simulation with MATLAB and Simulink but in optisystem version 10. You may mail optiwave support for further inquiry.

Regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aabid,

You have mentioned in your comment that simulink can directly be called from OptiSystem. Can you please elaborate more on this? For as far as I am concerned this has never been possible. Also, Matlab component has existed in many other OptiSystem versions. I would just like to clear this out.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi burhan
      look optisystem supports the simulink but as for now i could not find any proper guide for simulink optisystem co-simulation.
      therefore option of using simulink as your module may be waste of time.itz better to use matlab

with regards

Hi all

Actually i had contacted the support team of optiwave for this and they mentioned that this can be done by interfacing simulink and matlab. so i thought ther might be a provision of interfacing the simulink module but i guess there is no such provision as far as i researched and i may have to use a code only.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi burhann,
      it its is most perferable option for you, they have revealed simulink optisystem cosimulation but as for now proper guide is available on the site.they will surely clear you confusion and help you

with reagards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aasif,

It is true that Simulink can be co-simulated with OptiSystem, but Optiwave have never said it can be done directly. On the contrary, Damian once mentioned in one of the forum pages that simulink can be used through Matlab component, and it has to be called. Otherwise, they would have made a tutorial for it for sure in my opinion.

Regards

Hi Aasif

thanks a lot I will surely consult that for guidance.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

you are welcome

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi alistu,

i could find any tutorial on simulink and optisystem co-simulation, if any any one has any information regarding this co simulation i.e procedure of doing soo.

such response will be very much appreciated

with regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aasif,

Such tutorials won’t probably exist in my opinion. The co-simulation cannot be done without the use of Matlab as an interface. Like I said, simulink has to be called by matlab in the Matlab program addressed in the Matlab component. This is the available information about co-simuation of the aforementioned.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello everyone,
      Alistu if you read my post again i have clearly said that “chances” are there May be it is possible because i had posted a link earlier where it was clearly mentioned that co-simulation with MATLAB and Simulink is possible but it was mentioned with optisystem version 10. I believe they won’t mention it unless and until there is some window of using it. I have not myself done it but the link i posted suggested so.

Thank you and regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aabid,

You are right, the use of simulink is possible. Yet it is not directly interfacing. The reason why I emphasized on this issue on this topic is that some inaccurate comments are voted as “best answer” and this implies the answer is correct (even if you express uncertainty). This may confuse those who visit the topic page.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,
      yeah i agree with alistu on this. inaccurate comments are voted as “best answer”
      BEST answer should be selected which will have no ambiguity in it.
      i request to all please please dont do that.because this will create confusions in the readers mind.

with regards

Hi Alistu

Can u please provide the link where in Damian said simulink can be used through Matlab component, and it has to be called. Has he prvide some link which shows how it can be done?

Regards

Burhan

alistu
        Participant

Hi Burhan,

I did not mention in my comment about Damian having said so, but it seems that you also remember telling him say so. I looked for his comment before writing my previous comment here, but could not find it. However, he did not provide links to examples of co-simulation in such a way as far as I can remember.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi all,
      Why to make the issue so ambiguous. The question can be answered without ambiguity if you directly ask Damian on this. But i still believe that they won’t mention anything regarding this until and unless they have added it or done it. Burhan num mina llah i suggest you to ask Damian directly. It would save you the time.

Thanks and regards

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.