Home Forums SYSTEM Bidirectional Fiber

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Atul Sharma
      Participant

Hello everyone. Greetings from my side.

Does bidrectional fiber require some extra parameters to work?

Regards
      Atul Sharma

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi Atul Sharma, You can directly view the differences between the bidirectional and single mode fiber from their properties. There are some extra parameters in case of bidirectional parameters which you need to set at the properties. Please have a look at the attache picture.

Regards,
      Dhiman

+2
        Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello dhiman. Good Morning. Greetings.

Thank you for showing some interest. I could see the parameters of the bidirectional fiber but i kept them as they were just like in the snapshot but it is still showing no response on the optical spectrum analyzer. Can you please help in that regard.

With regards
        Atul Sharma

+1
          Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Hi Atul, I attached The snapshot to show what other parameters we need to set in case of bidirectional fiber as per our system implementation, and it shows the default values set. You have to modify it as per the system requireent.

Regards,
          Dhiman

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      I agree to the points of Dhiman sir which he try to explain about the differences between SMF and Bidirectional fiber.
      In case of bidirectional fiber , signals are transmitted in both direction simultaneously but with both having different frequencies.
      In this we have a provision of optical delay.

+1
        Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hi Ranjeet. Greetings.
        Thanks for the response. Do we have to set different reference frequencies for the bidirectional fiber. But can you tell how because i can see there only one option for the reference wavelength/reference frequency. How do we input two different reference wavelengths?
        looking forward to hear from your side.

With regards
        Atul Sharma

+2
      Ubaid Bhat
      Participant

HI ATUL SHARMA..
      dhiman kakati correctly mentioned the difference between the parameters of the two.in optisystem for simulation purposes of the bidirectional fibers you have to introduce some delay so that both waves travel simultaneously in opposite direction.hope you got my point.
      with regards
      ubaid bhat

+2
        Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Ubaid bhat. Greetings from my side.

I clearly got the difference but what about this delay component.Why would i want my system to become slow. If i introduce these delays into my system design won’t these delays render my system too slow and which in no way is the desirable. Please can you explain why should i use delays here. looking forward to your response.

With regards
        Atul Sharma

+2
          Ubaid Bhat
          Participant

hi atul sharma…
          i am glad to know that you got the use of delay concepts. Well talking about the physical significance of the delay components they are only used for simulation purposes for the bidirectional fiber to work.In actual fiber transmission they are not used and the upstream/downstream frequencies occur simultaneously without any delay element.hope you got my point
          with regards
          ubaid bhat

Ubaid Bhat
          Participant

As far as the slowing of system is concerned,well definitely the simulation time is going to increase because of delay elements.But in optiwave you require the time delay element to view both upstream and down stream data transmission. I think the optiwave has no other provision for simulating bidirectional fibers. however for practical proposes there is no such need.hope you got my point.
          with regards
          ubaid bhat

+3
          Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Hi Atul,
          Regarding why optical delay is used please refer to the following link. you may find some more information.

optical delay

Bidirectional optical fiber

and it is nicely explained by Damian please have a look

Bidirectional Components [Optical System]

OPTICAL DELAY

Regards,
          Dhiman

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi all,

Infact very valid points made by all the forum members on Bidirectional fibers… I suggest atul sharma to have a look at the image posted by Dhiman Kakati.. It will surely help you…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

+2
        Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Sahil Singh. Greetings from my side.

thank you for your suggestions but it still didn’t work out. The optical spectrum analyzer does not show anything at all. I tired to enable / disable some of the parameters but still no response on the optical spectrum analyzer. I think i may be doing some wrong. Anyway thanks a lot for showing some interest.

with regards
        Atul Sharma

+1
      Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant
        Atul Sharma
        Participant

hello Dhiman. greetings.
        Thanks for sharing some links. Shall try going through them and see if these help and i get some response of signals on the optical spectrum analyzer. I hope this time i do get some response on the analyzer.

With Regards
        Atul Sharma

+1
      jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello atul sir..

I too faced This problem but then used single mode fiber.. I dont know what is happening when we use the bidirectional fiber.. may be the suggestions given by forum members is correct.. i also think delay component can work. But can anyone share some example where it is used.. It will be helpful .
      Thanks
      With regards
      jyoti raina

+4
        Atul Sharma
        Participant

hello Jyoti raina. greetings.

Yes i too am facing the same problem but i recommend you to go through the link provided by Dhiman. It seems to be very helpful and i am sure it is the solution to this problem. Let me repost it here.

Lesson 5: Bidirectional Simulation — Working with Multiple Iterations

try going through it. Hope it helps.

With Regards
        atul Sharma

+3
          jyoti raina
          Spectator

Hi Atul sir . hello dhiman Sir..
          Thank you so much for sharing the links.. It is indeed very helpful.. i did not know that we have to include the delay parameter for bidirectional components to work..it has helped a lot in understanding the fact behind working of bidirectional fibers..thank you so much for your help Dhiman sir..

With Regards
          Jyoti Raina

+1
          Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

You are most welcome Jyoti, feel free to ask and answer any kind of query put in the forum, Discussion is the best way of learning. Thanking you.

Regards,
          Dhiman

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Dhiman,

Thanks for providing the links on the working of Bidirectional fibers… Highly appreciate your efforts..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Yes Sahil Singh. I must be thankful to Dhiman for his efforts and the link provided by him is helping me alot to understand this whole thing about the bidirectional fibers. Thank you agin dhiman.

With regards
        Atul Sharma

+2
          Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

you are most welcom dear Sahil and Atul Sharma. It is my pleasure that you are finding it beneficial.

Regards.
          Dhiman

Atul Sharma
          Participant

Hi Dhiman. Greetings.

yes it was worth mentioning here that the link you posted was helpful. Indeed i got the waveform after the fiber. But yeah there still exists some problem in the upstream. In the other post i have uploaded the osd file for your convenience. Please try checking into that i hope your efforts will help me. Thanking you in anticipation.

With Regards
          Atul Shrama

+1
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.