Home Forums GENERAL Bidirectional optical fiber

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      san lymit
      Participant

Dear,

I wonder the bidirectional optical fiber. Does the bidirectional optical fiber is transmit and receive the signal on the same fiber on different time? I have never seen the bidirectional optical fiber in practice? does its wire is the same as unidirectional fiber. Could anyone shows me the specific bidirectional optical fiber? How to design the upstream and downstream with the speed 10Gbps by using bidirectional fiber?

Best regards,

alistu
      Participant

Hi San,

I don’t have much information regarding theoretical aspect of the bidirectional fiber and how different it is from SMF unidirectional fiber, but in practice, both signals pass through bidirectional fiber simultaneously and in OptiSystem, the optical delay is used, so as to make this bidirectional system work.

As for what you have asked about the system design with bidirectional fiber, you can see Optisystem samples in “PON and access systems” folder, for example “CWDM PON” to see how it can be used and then use your own scheme. Then you can ask any possible further questions here.

Regards

san lymit
      Participant

Dear,

Does this bidirectional optical fiber occurs chromatic dispersion? How to compensate the dispersion?

best regard,

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi San, the bidirectional optical fiber allows for optical signals to travel in both directions at the same time; for example you can simulate backward Raman gain with this fiber (since signal and pump travel in opposite directions), while you cannot with the standard fiber on OptiSystem. Please note that this fiber is more representative of the “real” fiber, where all effects happen in both directions!

him ind
      Participant

sir there are some problem in my system when the transmission is downstream…please tell me what is the problem in my system and also send me the correct system configuration the upstream at 1550 and downstream at 1330nm

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello sam!
      It works in practical scenario too. It is mainly used in designing the TDM,OFDM,TWDM…and many more systems.
      If you wish to know if it works in optisystem , you need to include delays in your system. These delays do not have any physical significance in optisystem. These are used just for simulation purpose here. When designing a practical system you can remove these delays. For bidirectional fiber to work in optiwave, you must include delays.
      please refer to chapter 5 of the tutorial i am attaching below.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

you may refer to Lesson 5. it may be helpful.
      I guess it would certainly help as it contains everything about bidirectionality of certain components which include bidirectional fiber as well.
      Best Regards.
      Aabid

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi san,

for basic understang of bidirectionality of fiber and certion specification refer below links. you can browse many many such links providing you much enhanced concepts of birectional fibers.
      1.http://iitg.vlab.co.in/?sub=59&brch=269&sim=1372&cnt=3055

2.https://www.vpi.us/fiber-optic-standard.html

in optiwave we require the time delay element to view both upstream and down stream data transmission. however for practical proposes there is no such need..

with regards

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear San

any practical fiber can accomodate many wavelengths in uni as well as in bidirectional.The bi dir trnasmission can be acheived by using optical circulators
      regards

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.