Home Forums SYSTEM How to plot BER versus OSNR

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Nabih Mansor
      Participant

Dear all , i am working on coherent detection OFDM ,how can i plot the BER versus OSNR , i have tried by increasing the optical fiber length but the result was not very helpful , can any one help me ?

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi Nabih, what does your system look like? I mean, do you have a launch booster, preamplifier in fron of the receiver…

Nabih Mansor
      Participant

i am working in Coherent detection optical OFDM system example , ineed to plot the relation between the BER and OSNR

Nabih Mansor
      Participant

i need something like this

Attachments:
        Damian Marek
        Participant

Have you tried the new Set OSNR component? You could just sweep though values of this component to produce such a graph.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

I understand your point, but you can vaty the OSNR only if you have optical elements (EDFAs…) to change it at the receiver side. If for example you have Tx -> fiber -> VOA -> Preamplifier -> Rx, when you change the attenuator setting you change the OSNR.

Nabih Mansor
      Participant

i am working on the built in example ( coherent detection optical OFDM) , so if you can tell me how to draw the OSNR by using sweep i will be thankful

Fady
      Participant

Any help?

Ravil
        Participant

Hi Fady, did you try to state your question question somewhere in this discussion? If so, I am not able to see one…

alistu
        Participant

Hi Fady,

We had a discussion about a similar issue in your topic addressed below:

BER versus Received power

However, here the parameter BER is to be measured against is the OSNR, and therefore the best thing to do in my opinion is to use SET OSNR component, as Damian suggested above.

Regards

Fady
      Participant

Thanks a lot, but where can I add the set OSNR component in the topology?

alistu
        Participant

I haven’t worked with the component yet, but since the component is supposed to add a floor noise to the signal to make the desired OSNR, and also from the set OSNR compound component on the component help section, I think it should be used wherever the OSNR is to be measured (so it bshould have a defined value there).

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.