Home Forums SYSTEM BER versus Received power

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Fady
      Participant

How to measure the BER versus received power? and how to do the back to back measurement? Thank you

MHD NA
      Participant

Hi Fady Ibrahim;
      first you should change the transmitted power so the the received power in turn will change and BER.
      second you can use “report” page and draw 2D axis.
      third choose the received power for X and BER for Y.
      or you can use Excel instead of the previous and make a plot according to values take from your project.

Regards;

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

Hi Mohammed, changing the transmitted power on the fiber is not a good idea if the scope it to measure BER vs Prx, since when you change the power transmitted you are also changing the nonlinear effects happening in the transmission medium. The best way to analyze BER vs Prx is, in my opinion, to use an attenuator in front of the receiver.

alistu
          Participant

Very good idea! Alothough it depends on what insight the figures are supposed to be giving. Sometimes the nonlinearity limits are actually going to be depicted, so as to make it clear that fiber channel does not follow Shannon capacity theory. But it’s useful for me in many cases. Thanks!

Fady
      Participant

Thanks but how can I get the received power? Could you please send me a sample?

alistu
        Participant

Hi Fady,

I have attached an example from a recently discussed subject in one of the topics. I have used an optical power meter at the receiver point I want to know the power of and then using sweep mode, I have changed input power from -6dBm to 2 dBm. The figure shows min. log of BER from BER analyzers vs Received power from power meter.

Regards

Attachments:
        Ashu verma
        Participant

Hi! Fady
        As mohammad stated ver well and almost gave the answer to your question that how to plot ber vs rx power.i just add that you can find received power from
        Project library>Ber analyzer>Results>Total power(dB)
        Just drag this total power to x-axis of plot and log(ber) to y-axis side.In this way you will get tge plot in waterfall trend.
        You only need to vary transmitted power for 5 or more iteration and plot is there
        Back to back system is when you connect receiver rigth after the transmitter without transmitting signal over fiber or channel length distance.in this way you see tge back ti back signal without attenuation and dispersion effects.After this step you xan plot the the ber after some distance and see the change and panelty observed in power at FEC or 10^9 value of BER.

Hope you got the answer .
        Cheers!!

Fady
      Participant

Thanks Alistu, but I can not open the file. I am using OS13.03

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome. I am also using version 13.0.3, so you should be able to open it. Please check and see if your problem is the same as the one discussed in this topic (regarding the file type):

optiwave.com/forums/topic/optoelectronic-oscillator/

If it is so, please do as I have said there.

Ashu verma
        Participant

If you are not managed to open the file then go through the optiwave tutorial file given here

Lesson 4: Parameter Sweeps — BER x Input Power

This link will give you idea how to plot the graph.
        After this link go to similar discussion where Damian ,Alisthu ,shahbaz and me discussed about received power and ber curve

BER vs Received Power Curve

Hope you will get all the information from here.

shiva kumar
      Participant

i have been working on dispersion managed solitons. i want to plot the soliton pulse over the transmission distance vs power. pls explain the steps to plot the waveform. i’m using optisystem 14 in windows 10. i am attaching a similar kind of plot. pls explain how to plot that type of plot on optisystem

Attachments:
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.