Home Forums KNOWLEDGE Use of the Matlab Component [Optical System]

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Question:

How do I incorporate Matlab code into OptiSystem to manipulate binary, electrical and optical signals? Is it also possible to have Matlab call OptiSystem?

Saurabh Sharma
      Participant

i am using the matlab component for handling the electrical signal, i simply placed the matlab component with a single instruction ie outputPort1=inputPort1 but the matlab component did not show the sampled signal structure or the individual sample structure launched into the matlab workspace.

+2
      alistu
      Participant

Matlab is case sensitive, ie. you have to be careful about capital and small letters. In you comment, you have used small letters at the beginning of “inputPort1” and “outputPort1”. Now of you have typed it the same way in Optisystem, that causes the problem. In that case you need to change it to:
      OutputPort1=InputPort1;

maha sliti
      Participant

Hello Damian,
      Can you please help me to implement a matlab code that achieves the role of an optical substractor
      (output = InputSignal1 power – InputSignal2 power )?

alistu
        Participant

Hi Maha,

It is quite easy provided that first you go through the OptiSystem tutorials about how to co-simulate the software with Matlab, whose files have been attached here by Damian and you can also easily find the videos. But then you can create the filter directly without having to use a matlab component as one block in your filter.

Regards

+1
        Damian Marek
        Participant

You want to subtract the time domain signal? At each time sample. Should not be hard, but there will have to be checks to make sure the input signal is the same wavelength or else it will not make sense.

maha sliti
      Participant

Hello,
      How can I get at each time a sample of the input sampled signal?
      Thank you for your help.

alistu
        Participant

Hi Maha, Can you please elaborate more on your question? Thank you.

maha sliti
      Participant

Thank you for your response Alistu.
      I have an input sampled signal. I need to treat only one sample at once.

alistu
        Participant

Unfortunately, I still don’t understand the question. Each sample corresponds to a specific time instant. So at each epecific time instant you are having one sample. Is this what you mean by getting one sample “at each time”?

Regards

maha sliti
      Participant

Yes Alistu, that is what I mean 🙂

Ravil
        Participant

Hi Maha!

According to you question about sampling, if I understand it correctly, your signal is presented in Matlab. If this is the case, you can find signal’s sample that you need as it is an element of your sampled signal’s array in a Matlab space using simple tools (please, see OptiSystem examples). As Damian indicated, you can always transfer this data back to OptiSystem when you need to do so…

feras
      Participant

hello,
      i am using optisystem 13 32-bit to design OFDM radio over fiber system that carried LTE signal over fiber optic channel and i am facing aproblem in getting a big BER value ( 0.33 ) and low Q factor but clear constellation diagram , even when run the simulation without any fiber channel (( only modulate and demodulate )) it still give me the same BER value without any change , i hope you to give me the reason why that happened and how can i get the right BER that depending to the channel .
      thank you very much

Mohamed Ben zegalam
        Participant

Hi Feras,

Please may you attach your design so I can look to it and see the problem

alistu
          Participant

Hi Mohamed,

I believe Feras is referring to the implementation file he has uploaded in the forum page https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/what-is-happening/ . By the way, no Matlab components were used in that design, so I think the reason he has posted the question here is to make others in this topic see it.

Regards

feras
          Participant

hi mohamed,
          actually alistu is right in every word he typed hhhh
          thank you all
          Regards.

any more examples?

abida yousuf
      Participant

Hello

Is it possible to design a laser in matlab software and then same m.file is used in the optisystem to evaluate eye diagram.

Thanks

Hi Damian,
      Your application notes attached was very helpful. Could you kindly provide an application note to find the BER of using MATLAB optisystem cosimulation such that I can check the BER both at the MATLAB and also at optisystem.

Thanks and regards,
      Rangana

Hi Damian,
      Your application notes attached was very helpful. Could you kindly provide an application note to find the BER of using MATLAB optisystem cosimulation such that I can check the BER both at the MATLAB and also at optisystem.

Thanks and regards,
      Rangana

Damian Marek
      Participant

Answer:

Co-simulation of Matlab and OptiSystem is possible and very simple. The user can start the simulation in OptiSystem, transfer the data to Matlab and import it back to OptiSystem. The simulation can also start in Matlab and then transfer the data to OptiSystem and import it back to Matlab.

If you go to the samples directory, there is a folder for Matlab co-simulation. Also on our website, there are application notes on this subject:

Matlab Co-simulation

I have attached three files that explain how to setup Matlab components to manipulate binary, electrical and optical signals. These can be found in your samples folder.

+10
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.