Home Forums SYSTEM splitter or fork…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      jyoti raina
      Spectator

hi all…i have a question plz help me..
      i have to divide my signal and give it to two photodiodes or two receivers…now i am in dilemma that should i use splitter or the fork component because i read both divide the signal…now can u people tel me vch one will gv good results..the forkmor the splitter..? and why…?
      Thanking u in advnce

HELLO JYOTI..
      As far as your query is concerned well there is a difference between using fork and splitter in your design…if you want your signal to be duplicated without any loss then its better to use fork…and in other case the term split itself suggests that the signal is splitted…
      it splits the signal power and also losses are associated when using a splitter..
      I hope u understand the difference.. hope it helps you..
      Thanks & regards

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi fayiqa…thanx for replying..i have understood the difference now..it was very helpful..
        thanx again

HELLO JYOTI..
          You are welcome anytime..I hope your doubts are clear now..
          Thanks & regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello jyoti,
      As mentioned by fayiqa the major difference lies in the application. It depends on the system design. I am posting a link where the topic has been already discussed and i hope you get an idea about the usage of two components. Please refer to this link for further information. I hope you find it helpful.

Physical importance of Fork component

Regards

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi aabid sir…i am grateful for ur time and concern..the links u provided were very helpful and it really helped me a lot in understanding the difference between the splitter and the fork…i shud use splitter instead of fork as per my needs….but anyway thanx ol 4 ur replies and help..i am thankful

Aabid Baba
          Participant

you are welcome jyoti. The forum is for the same purpose. Cheers!

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi jyoti raina..

That is a good question you asked.
      Well as already mentioned, a fork replicates a signal, and I think it is used for making our simulation tests easier. Suppose you want to check results at two different types of receivers, you don’t need two separate simulations. Instead, you could use a fork.. and give the two signals to two different receivers and analyse results in just one simulation.

On the other hand, a splitter, as the name suggest, divides power /signal into many .

I hope I am clear.

Regards
      Naazira.

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi naazira ma’am…thanx for ur reply..it was very helpful indeed and i hv got the difference btween the two…i am using the splitter nw in my circuit rather than fork..because i need two users..anyway thnx a lot

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hello Jyoti Raina,
      I think you are referring to balance photo detector. so for this you can use a X-Coupler at the input side of the photodetectors. I have attached herewith a snapshot fo the same. Thanking you..

Regards,
      Dhiman

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

please find attachment here.

Attachments:
        jyoti raina
        Spectator

hello dhiman i am thankful to u..i am using splitter…u are mentioning power coupler…can i also use it in my circuit??
        it has two inputs and two outputs…what shud i connect to the second input because from fiber only one signal comes…please explain it to me..thanking in advance

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Hi Jyori Raina,

If you require one input and two output in cross coupler then just put an optical null at the other input, and in case of two input one output you need not do anything just connect the upper output port to the required destination. Thanking you..

Regards,
          Dhiman

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Dhiman..

Yes, that could also be one aspect of using it.
      Also, could you please try uploading your attachments again? Those are not available in your comment.

Regards
      Naazira

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Nazira Please have a look into reply #33429

Regards,
        Dhiman

HELLO DHIMAN..
      Thanks for sharing the snapshots…
      But here i want to ask u that Does coupler serve us the same way that fork does..??
      From theoretical aspects, a coupler has two output ports, one used for transmitted power and the other for coupled power although some is reflected back as reflected power so there is possibly going to be losses associated with the usage of coupler which may deteriorate the results…
      Thanks & regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Fayiqa,
        the working of coupler and fork is different, you can refer to the “Optisystem component library” pdf for this.

A Fork Copies the input signal into two output signals. This tool allows you to duplicate the input signal to the output ports.
        It can be used in electrical as well as in optical domain where you need to generate a duplicate copy. there is nothing like power loss in case of coupler.

and you are right about the working of cross coupler it have some loss.

Regards,
        Dhiman Kakati

HELLO DHIMAN..
          I understand that..actually your snapshots confused me a bit.. Jyoti had inquired about fork and splitter and you had mentioned about power coupler so i thought you are relating power coupler with the functioning of the fork component..
          So that was the reason i asked if both of the components had same functionality..Anyways thanks for explaining..
          Thanks & regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

You are most welcome Fayiqa,

Regards,
          Dhiman

Hello All

As far as the definition of splitter and fork is concerned its just that splitter splits the power while as the fork duplicate the incoming power with same power in the outputs. But dhiman i also wanna ask this that dows coupler perform in a similar way as that of a fork . As of now we have know a coupler as to combine the power in one of the outputs for the inputs being from transmitter and the combining signal.

Regards

Burhan

HI BURHAN..
        I agree with you the work of coupler is to combine the power in one of the outputs for the inputs being from transmitter and the combining signal… It was a bit confusing but i hope Dhiman had put it in other context..
        Anyways i hope Dhiman clears it..
        Thanks & regards

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi burhan mam…i am thankful for ur kind reply…i undrstood the difference..i also agree with u..can u tel me why to use power coupler in my circuit..?//

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hello burhan num mina llah,
        Cross Coupler for combining or splitting optical signals. the process is cores of two identical parallel fibers are so close to one another that the one wave can “leak” from one fiber core into the other core. This allows an exchange of energy, The amount of energy exchange is dependent upon the proximity of the two cores, d, and the length over which this exchange takes place, L. It is easy to see that if the coupling length is long enough, a complete transfer of energy can take place from one core into the other. If the length is longer still, the process will continue, shifting the energy back into the original core. By selecting the proper length, any given power transfer ratio can be realized. This is how a 50/50 or a 10/90 coupler is made.
        In reality, energy transfers back and forth between the two fibers many times over the coupling region (also called the Interaction Length). The transfer rate is a function of wavelength, so if a wavelength is used that is different from the design wavelength, the energy transfer (or coupling ratio) will be different. As an example, assume that two different wavelengths are launched into the two input ports of a coupler.

In case of fork no such mechanism is involved. Regenerate the signal at the two output point.

Regerds,
        Dhiman

love kumar
      Participant

hii jyoti… as discuss by all fork is used for replicating the signal where as splliter is to divide the power level .. for example if you are using a 1:2 splitter you will get a power/2 at each output port of the the spillter as compared to input ..where is in fork u will get same power level .. one for thing i want to add that splitter is generally used in PON(Passive Optical Network)… hope you are getting the point

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi love kumar…thanx fr replying..nice to see please helping here..its wonderfulll

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi all,
      As we know Firk Copies the input signal into different output signals without any loss. This tool allows you to duplicate component output ports.
      Splitter component splits evenly the signal input power to N output ports.
      The s-parameters for the splitter are:

S = {10Log(1/N)-Alpha}<0 degree
      Where  is the parameter insertion loss (dB), N is the number of output ports and i is
      the output port index.

jyoti raina
        Spectator

thanx ranjeet fr replying..what for shall i use s-parameters and where do i get these..??

Hi Jyoti Raina

you are welcome. regarding your query about the coupler. dear i don’t know your circuit as such so i don’t know weather u require coupler or fork or splitter. it depends on the requirement in ur design.

Regards

Burhan

jyoti raina
        Spectator

thanx burhan mam..i am thankful fr ur help.
        i am actualy alsomconfuded abt working of fork and coupler…i dnt knw if they can be used for sme purpose like Dhiman sir has mentioned in previous comment.. i hope splitter wil gv good results instead of using fork..i hv gone through links also suggesting to use splitter instead of fork bcz of practical applications..
        thnx agn

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi jyoti,
      You are welcome.
      We couldnot use s-parameters in optisystem software, i have just suggest you the difference between splitter and fork.
      Sometimes we need theoretical and mathematical theory for explanation in publishing research works. So, i have tried to explain that.
      thank you for consideration and highlighting the topics.

jyoti raina
      Spectator

hi ranjeet sir..m thankful to u for ur kind reply n time..
      actually m new to the optiwave tool and i thought it was some parameter i was not setting while simulation.. i thought it is compulsory fr good results n thats why i asked abt it.
      bt it s ok i hv used splitter nw and thanx to all ur suggestions..they helped a lot for understanding the basic diffrnce between the two..thanx agn

Hi jyoti raina

You are most welcome. Feel free to ask for help in this forum. It is meant for that purpose only.

Regards

Burhan

Sanjeev kumar
      Participant

Hello friends
      As where as i concerned to the above posted matter. i always saw that whenever we combine the data like in DWDM or SCM we use the concept of power combiner and power splitter at receiver whereas fork is always used to analysis for testing reason like what signal the component is actual generating so that it could be analysed at the receiver whether the sent signal is matching with the transmitter signal(analysed suing fork) or not. thank you

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hello sanjeev sir..thanx for replying.
        wht i hv understood from all the discussion is that we should try to use fork only if we hv to compare..for practical purposes we should use splitter..
        there was also talk of power coupler bt i dont think my design requires its use.. splitter works fine although thr is sm loss pertaining to usage of spliiter..
        anyway it was good discussion. thanx to ol

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

You are most welcome Jyoti Raina Ma’m.
      Thank you for appreciation and conscent, i will try to suggest as per my ability.

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

KK Jyoti,
      It’s need to worry about.
      These all discussions will help you to learn and understand optisyetem quickly and efficiently.
      Thanks to “https://optiwave.com/forums&#8221; for such a wonderful platform for beginners as well as experts to learn a new topic as well as get command on previous topics.

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi ranjeet sir..good morning.
        yes it has helped me a lot lot..i hv understood many things and changed my design parameters to get good results.
        thanx to ol people who hv helped me over here.. n its true its a learning curve for beginners like me..i appreciate aol the help i get from people here..thanx agn

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Jyoti Raina,

Indeed this forum is a great learning curve for all of us…. Cheers optiwave team…

Regards

Sahil Singh

jyoti raina
        Spectator

indeed sir…i gt lot of help here..

Ankita Sharma
      Participant

Hi all,

This forum is really helpful to all..

Thanks & Regards
      Ankita Sharma

jyoti raina
        Spectator

yes ankita,,it realy is helpful..at least i can say that..

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi joyti raina,

splitter —> technically speaking divides the power of input equally at the output.

i.e : if 10mW input is given to 1:4 splitter , the output power will be 2.5 mW (10mW/4)each
      fork —> technically speaking replicate es the power of input to each of the output.

i.e : if 10mW input is given to 1:4 fork , the output power will be 10 mW each.

thus you need to use them as per the design needs

with regards

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Jyoti Raina,

Infact a very valid point put forward by Asif Bashir with a very good explanation and a nice example… I completely agree that you need to use them as per your design needs…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,

i hope the dision ended with that fork cretes copies of the input and the splitter divides the input equally

regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Well Asif..it had to end on that ; as you had rightly mentioned it in the first place. (y)

Regards
      Naazira Badar.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.