Home Forums FDTD setting up simulation parameters in FDTD

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      perveen akhter
      Participant

Hi there,
      I am working on this simple layout. it does work but simple Si 3.45 index is giving some oscillations at lower wavelengths and I have tried almost everything to fix this. but didn’t get it. can anyone please help me.

Aurelien Duval
      Participant

Hi Perveen,

I’ve tried to run your example. However I don’t really anything wrong with it. Could you be more specific, for example a plot of the oscillations?

Thanks

Aurelien

perveen akhter
      Participant

Thanks Aurelien for your reply.
      the problem is that it doesn’t give a constant reflection,but with variations between 0.3 and 0.34 probably due to interference. so I was trying to get a more smoother reflection ,coz I plan to add metal nanoparticles on this subs and the plasmoinc effect is not as clear as it should be coz of this reflection interference. I am trying hard to find best APML no. of layers to minimize this.
      I hope you got my question.
      waiting for reply.
      Perveen.

Aurelien Duval
      Participant

Hi, with the project file you attached, I get 10^-18 W on the reflection observation area! It’s the computer’s way of saying 0.
      Could you be more specific, for example giving a plot of the oscillations?

Which version of OptiFDTD are you using?

Thank you

Aurelien

perveen akhter
      Participant

please find the attached reflection plot. I want to get a smooth/constant reflecion.
      we have version 9.
      thanks,
      Perveen.

Attachments:
      Aurelien Duval
      Participant

Ok, I understand better, thank you.

You should increase the number of PML layers to absorb more incoming light. For example with 64 layers, almost all oscillations are gone.

perveen akhter
      Participant

did you change anything else too. coz I am still getting the same results. also I am using APML boundary conditions, not PML?
      and no. of APML layer coefficients is 30.
      any suggestions?
      thanks.

Aurelien Duval
      Participant

I cannot easily tell you if the inner workings or the simulation engine changed for that particular point between version 9 and 12.
      Like I said, the more layers, the less reflections you will get, but the slowest the simulation will run.

perveen akhter
      Participant

Hi there,
      it seems that for a layout which is working fine, changing xy wafer dimestions changes the results a lot, keeping same mesh size and even increasing the timesteps doesn’t produce the same restuls as original layout. how to compensate the wafer size effects?
      thanks.

perveen akhter
      Participant

Hi there,
      it seems that for a layout which is working fine, changing xy wafer dimestions changes the results a lot, keeping same mesh size and even increasing the timesteps doesn’t produce the same restuls as original layout. how to compensate the wafer size effects?
      thanks.

Damian Marek
      Participant

Do you have a more recent project file? I could take a look.

perveen akhter
      Participant

please find the attached layout and the results. I started with gold np sample# 52 and change the size n getting a lot of noisy peaks.
      thanks,
      Perveen.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Ah, the first thing I notice is that you are using periodic boundary conditions for the x and y dimensions. When you modify the x and y; lengths you are effectively changing your periodic lattice, or the distance between nano-particles.

perveen akhter
          Participant

so bigger wafer size, means larger distance betweeen particles, so no interaction, so I should get better results. but doesn’t work that way.

Damian Marek
          Participant

Are you trying to simulate a periodic structure? If not I would suggest simply using absorbing boundary conditions on all boundaries and use a Gaussian spatial input instead of the rectangular.

perveen akhter
          Participant

thanks, if you can send me a layout. or modify my layou n send to me. I am using version 9. thanks a lot.

perveen akhter
          Participant

Hi Damien,
          I need your help with this layout simple thin film on si substrate with input at 45 deg. for some reasons I am getting negative absorption.
          attached is the layout and plot.
          thanks,
          Perveen.

Damian Marek
          Participant

Hi Perveen,

The silicon carbide material is defined with a positive imaginary part of the index of refraction. In engineering convention (and OptiFDTD convention) this means an amplifying medium, not a lossy one. You may want to change that to a negative imaginary part. This amplifying effect is what I assume is giving you a negative absorption.

Regards

perveen akhter
          Participant

still getting negative absorption. could this be coming from any interference coz of input angle being 45 deg????
          thanks,
          Perveen.

perveen akhter
      Participant

first slide is for radius50 nm, second for 10 nm

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.