Home Forums GENERAL refractive index calculation

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      varinder singh
      Participant

hello everyone………can anyone help me ……how to calculate the negative refractive index of a material?

umer syed
      Participant

hi virender singh
      negative refraction is not just because of negative permitivity and permeability, in some crystalls such as photonic crystals we also have negative refraction for some angles. and also chiral metameterials can have negative refraction.
      When a negative index of refraction occurs, propagation of the electromagnetic wave is reversed. Resolution below the diffraction limit becomes possible. This is known as Subwavelength imaging.
      for further information visit the link below;
      http://infrared.ucsd.edu/basov_pubs/mt9-28-2006.pdf

with regards

varinder singh
      Participant

thanks umer.
      for this information……………..
      with regards

Ubaid Bhat
      Participant

hi verinder singh…..
      Aasif abshir dar has already mentioned the various conditions for metamaterials and he has rightly said that when a negative index of refraction occurs, propagation of the electromagnetic wave is reversed.
      i came across a link in which the negative refractive index material was discussed thoroughly and it’s calculations are also given. So for your reference i am attaching a link which you might find of some help.
      http://emlab.utep.edu/ee5390em21.htm
      hope you will get some help from this.
      with regards
      ubaid bhat

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi virender singh,

I agree with Umer Syed here that negative refraction is not just because of negative permitivity and permeability..When a negative index of refraction occurs, propagation of the electromagnetic wave is reversed.Also try to see the comments of asif in the link mentioned by Ubaid Bhat… It will surely be of help…

with regards
      Sahil Singh

varinder singh
      Participant

hello everyone …..i shall be very thankful to all of you for sharing this important information with me….
      i hope i will be able to calculate the negative refractive index
      thanks once again
      with regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Varinder Singh..

Here is a link which I suggest you should check. : https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/photonic-crystal-fiber-calculations/

Response has been provided by the tech support of optisystem itself. I hope that helps you.
      All the best.

Regards
      Naazira Badar.

varinder singh
      Participant

helo……..naaazira
      thanks for this information…..i hope i will be able to understand the negative refractive index in material…..

varinder singh
      Participant

helu ubaid bhat .
      thanks for sharing the link.
      i was able to find the answer of my question……….thanks once again for such information
      with regards varinder

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Varinder .

Welcome to this forum. I hope you are able to figure out your solution. All the best.

Regards
      Naazira Badar.

varinder singh
      Participant

thanks naazira,,,,,,,,,,
      i hope i will be able to get information about the optical communications……once again thanks …….for your reply……………..
      with regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      Negative index material (NIM) is also called a metamaterial where the refractive index for an electromagnetic wave can be determined and it has a negative value of refractive index over some frequency range.
      For more details , i am sharing the links:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11292865
      http://web.pdx.edu/~larosaa/Applied_Optics_464-564/Projects_Optics/Plasmons/2001_Experimental_Verification_of%20Negative_index_of_refraction.pdf
      I think we can’t measure refractive index of materials in optisystem.

Seeking your response.

varinder singh
      Participant

thanks ranjeet ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet,

Are you sure we cant measure about the comment that we cant measure refaractive index of materials in optisystem ? Hope to hear from you soon on this topic..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi SAHIL SINGH,
      I think i am right because what i have learnt and read the optisystem software and its information datasheet. I didn’t find something relevant to the measurement of Refractive index of materials in optisystem.
      Hope we will have an option to measure Refractive index of materials in near future.

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet Kumar,

I actually had a bit of doubt about whether we can measure Refractive index of materials in the optisystem software.. So just wanted to clarify it… Thanks for the information…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

varinder singh
      Participant

hiiii…everybody…
      thanks for sharing info with me…
      i really appreciate .
      with regards

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Virender,

You are welcome..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

varinder singh
      Participant

hii.. sahil.
      itz my pleasure
      with regards

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.