Home Forums SYSTEM Optical Switches by MATLAB Component

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Raja masud
      Participant

Hi Guys,

In this post I am going to share something with you. Due to the problem of switches of optisystem-7 and other version of optisystem, I have made tow optical Ideal switch by matlab component. I inspired by these link and documents below,

Matlab Binary Switch

Why Matlab Binary Switch is not working?

OptiSystem_Component_Library.pdf/MATLAB Library
      Matlab-Binary-Example.pdf
      Matlab-Electrical-Example.pdf
      Matlab-Optical-Example.pdf

I have modified the code of third switch, which I noted as “Ideal Y Switch”, and the code I have modified, found in this link:

Matlab Binary Switch

And the names of other switch, which I have made myself, are:
      “Ideal Switch 2×2” and “Ideal Y Select”

These above names I have took from the optisystem-7/Default/Network Library/Optical Switches, and their(my switches) working principles are same as “Ideal Switch 2×2” ,“Ideal Y Select” and “Ideal Y Switch” of above directory.

Finally and most important is, I will keenly waiting for advice and correction from members of this forum.
      And advice from expert guys will encourage my work.

I will be very happy, if someone feels this helpful.

Thank you everyone
      Raja

Raja masud
      Participant

something is wrong to start a new topic. when I submit a new topic, it does not show up in the forum archive, and it is the third time i have faced this problem,why it is happening?

Damian Marek
        Participant

I just went through your last topics and they all successfully were created. I deleted the copies but there were three versions of this post and three for another one. I think you were lead astray by the format of the main forums page! The main forums page only displays the most recent replies (not recent created topics). You can change the sorted format to “New Discussions” and you would have been able to see the ones you created.

Damian Marek
      Participant

Awesome! This is exactly the type of thing I like seeing on the forum! I also think your matlab code for the binary switch is much clearer then mine.

I just want to warn prospective users that these switches are not final and won’t work for all cases (plus they are ideal). I think one important case where you might want to expand the code is when there are other optical type signals, like noise bins and parameterized signals. Another interesting case would be when there are multiple sampled signals centered at different wavelengths, which will be stored in a separate row. Should be pretty straightforward to detect how many and of which type signals there are.

Regards

Raja masud
        Participant

Thank you Damian Marek for your valuable advises.

Actually I am working to solve these types of problem. But first I need to fully understand something such as parameterized signal, Individual Sample etc., and I need help of forum for that.
        ok
        You told that “these switches are not final and won’t work for all cases”, so I have 2 very important questions for you , I probably know the answers, but need to 100% clear myself,

Questions:

(1) If the optical sources (which are connected with the input port of MATLAB component) of any design of OPTISYSTEM carry just only sampled signal, single frequency;
        Or
        If they (optical sources) do not carry, any parameterized signal, Individual Sample, Noise, and multiple frequencies, then these switches can be used in those OPTISYSTEM design. Am I right??

(2) So I need to modify my MATLAB code such that, it can handle 4 types of optical signals and multiple frequencies to make perfect ideal switches. Yes??

If anything i need to add my MATLAB code, please let me know, I always appreciate you help. And I will wait for your advices and answers.

Regards

Damian Marek
          Participant

1) I think there is one other important case. When the optical signal is not polarized only along the X axis. Then the signal will have two sampled signals one corresponding to Ex and the other to Ey. In addition, just to check the robustness of your eventual switch I would verify that it works with spatial modes that are attached to the signal, using a multimode source. I don’t think there is any reason to think that it would not work as the signals are independent of each other.

2) Four types of optical signals, multiple frequencies, two possible polarization signals. And then you could get into even more complicated issues like if the input optical signals have different sampling rates and/or noise bin spacings plus range.

Raja masud
          Participant

Thanks for your suggestion,

It seems my switches are the initial steps to make perfect switch, and they are not matured yet. It seems to me that, they work under 1 condition only, if signal is only the sampled signal, otherwise they will not work. Anyway I will try my level best to make them perfect. But it is long way to go.

But before that, I need a ideal Y switch for my thesis work.

So I have another question for you, please help,

Question: Y Switch of this link (see below) can be used instead of the built in ideal Y switch of Optisystem?

Problem with the Digital optical switch

Regards

Damian Marek
          Participant

Yea sure use it!

Raja masud
          Participant

Thanks

Raja masud
          Participant

Hi
          Damian Marek

I know you are busy, but it would be helpful, if i get the answer of my last question.

Regards

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.