Home Forums SYSTEM optical library amplifier..

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      jyoti raina
      Spectator

hi all..
      i have a query abt the usage of specific amplifiers in circuit.. there are many amplifiers in the optical folder in amplifier library..can u people tel me which amplifier shud i use and which one is best to use and which gives good results with least distance..and why?/?
      thankng in advnce

HELLO JYOTI..
      You are right there are number of amplifiers in the optical library of amplifiers and as far as ur query is concerned the usage of a particular amplifier depends well on the application of respective amplifiers…there are times when each amplifier can give u same results and then sometimes there is large difference between the results..

Difference between using optical amplifier and EDFA

AMPLIFIER GAIN

I will suggest u to refer to these links to get an idea where when and why we use different amplifiers.. i hope it is helpful to u.
      Thanks & regards

+10
        jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi fayiqa naqshbandi mam.. thanx for replying and helping..
        i hv gone through the links u had provided and i noticed that there has been talk abt only optical amplifiers and EDFAs..is thr any diffrnce btwn using the two..?
        it is really confusing bcz both present in optical amplifier folder of the amplifier..can someone explain why so..

+3
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      Fiber amplifiers used in WDM systems usually make use of control systems as power or gain. Designs Er-doped fiber amplifiers by considering numerical solutions of the rate and the propagation equations under stationary conditions. The model includes amplified spontaneous emission (ASE) as observed in the amplifier Erbium Doped Fiber.
      The main difference is related to the amplifier pump scheme selection. You can choose co-propagating, counter-propagating, or bi-directional pump schemes with the option to set wavelength and pump power. Geometrical Er-doped fiber parameters and cross-section curves are required as input files. As output files, you can access gain, output power values, and noise figure determined in the ASE bandwidth set as noise input data.
      Enables the design of amplifiers, including EDFAs, that consider pre-defined operational conditions. This means that expected gain, noise figure, and amplifier output power can be previously specified. The amplifier presents the same facilities as a black box model, which enables you to select the operation mode with gain control, power control, or to perform simulations under saturated conditions, as well as define the expected amplifier performance. It is specially suited to perform prompt performance analysis of one or cascaded amplifiers in a long-haul system.

+1
        jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi ranjeet..thanx fr replying..m grateful to u..
        u hv talked abt “The amplifier presents the same facilities as a black box model, which enables you to select the operation mode with gain control, power control, or to perform simulations under saturated conditions”..can u tel me plz what is this black box thing here and what is difference in power control n gain control..hw we see this?

+1
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello jyoti,
      As the other members have already mentioned what are the differences between various types of amplifiers , as far as i know i would like to mention that it also depends on which domain you are working in. Is is the all optical or conventional electro-optical. But mainly it dependes on the need of your system design. Go through the links and the tutorial lesson on amplifiers you will get a good idea regarding all this.
      Regards

+14
        jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi aabid sir…thanx for replying to query..
        i dont understand what u mean by domain and electro-optical thing..can u plz tel me what is this..and yes the link has topic started by u all people..u hv also mentioned there regarding the difference between optical and EDFA.
        i hv designed a simple WDM transmitter and 4 receiver design..i want to knw which amplifier vil gv me good results..and why .thanx in advance..

+2
      raja irfan
      Participant

agreed with the rater

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Jyoti,
      In optical fiber library we have different types of amplifier lke Raman amplifier, EDFA amplifier and Semiconductor optical amplifier(SOA).
      I want to share characteristics of different amplifiers, now the selection of different amplifiers depends upon its application, feasibilty, power pumping availability we have.

Characteristics of SOA types:
      Polarization dependent – require polarization maintaining fiber
      Relatively high gain ~20 dB
      Output saturation power 5-10 dBm
      Large BW
      Can operate at 800, 1300, and 1500 nm wavelength regions.
      Compact and easily integrated with other devices
      Can be integrated into arrays
      High noise figure and cross-talk levels due to nonlinear phenomenon such as 4-
      wave mixing.

This last feature restricts the use of SOAs.
      Limited in operation below 10 Gb/s. (Higher rates are possible with lower gain.)

+2
      Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Jyoti,
      Now i would like to share advantage and disadvantage of EDFA:
      Characteristics of EDFAs (advantages):
      High power transfer efficiency from pump to signal power (> 50%).
      Wide spectral band amplification with relative flat gain (>20 dB) – useful for
      WDM applications.
      Saturation output > 1 mW (10 to 25 dBm).
      Gain-time constant long (>100 msec) to overcome patterning effects and intermodulation
      distortions ( low noise).
      Large dynamic range.
      Low noise figure.
      Polarization independent.
      Suitable for long-haul applications.
      Disadvantages of EDFAs:
      Relatively large devices (km lengths of fiber) – not easily integrated with other
      devices.
      ASE – amplified spontaneous emission. There is always some output even with
      no signal input due to some excitation of ions in the fiber – spontaneous noise.
      Cross-talk effects.
      Gain saturation effects.

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Jyoti,
      And finally i want to share Advantages & Disadvantages of FRA
      Advantages

Variable wavelength amplification possible
      Compatible with installed SM fiber
      Can be used to extend EDFAs
      Can result in a lower average power over a span, good for lower crosstalk
      Very broadband operation may be possible
      Disadvantages

High pump power requirements, high pump power lasers have only recently arrived
      Sophisticated gain control needed
      Noise is also an issue

So, at the end i would like to say that we have different parameters to seek for usage of optical amplifiers ..
      Pumping power, desired band of operation, gain, attenuation and its applications.

Thanks

+1
      Karan Ahuja
      Spectator

Hi

I agree that Fiber amplifiers used in WDM systems usually make use of control systems as power or gain. Designs Er-doped fiber amplifiers by considering numerical solutions of the rate and the propagation equations under stationary conditions. The model includes amplified spontaneous emission (ASE) as observed in the amplifier Erbium Doped Fiber.
      The main difference is related to the amplifier pump scheme selection. You can choose co-propagating, counter-propagating, or bi-directional pump schemes with the option to set wavelength and pump power. Geometrical Er-doped fiber parameters and cross-section curves are required as input files. As output files, you can access gain, output power values, and noise figure determined in the ASE bandwidth set as noise input data.
      Enables the design of amplifiers, including EDFAs, that consider pre-defined operational conditions. This means that expected gain, noise figure, and amplifier output power can be previously specified. The amplifier presents the same facilities as a black box model, which enables you to select the operation mode with gain control, power control, or to perform simulations under saturated conditions, as well as define the expected amplifier performance. It is specially suited to perform prompt performance analysis of one or cascaded amplifiers in a long-haul system.
      You may refer to

Difference between using optical amplifier and EDFA

Thanks

+1
      Kev
      Participant

There are three main types of today’s amplifier technology:Doped fiber amplifier (The typical representative: EDFA), Semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA), Fiber Raman amplifier (FRA). Each of them has their own working principle, features and applications. Here is the comparison of them according to their specific properties and hope it helps. http://www.fiber-optic-tutorial.com/comparison-of-different-optical-amplifiers.html

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.