Home Forums GENERAL AMPLIFIER GAIN

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Suppose optical amplifier gain shown at the output of the optical amplifier is expressed as the ratio say (20:7) , i would like to know what does this denote??
      Does it have any meaning with reference to input/output gain ???
      Please answers will be appreciated.

Regards

alistu
      Participant

Hi Aabid,

I don’t know the answer for sure, yet I take it as the ratio of output power to input power as it is common in some other cases. But can you please introduce or address the paper or datasheet in which you have come across such a notation? I have to say I haven’t come across such a notation myself. Thank you.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

hello Alistu,
      Thank you for the response.
      Exactly that is what came to my mind at first place but you may notice then it turns out to be totally different when you look at other values. I am posting the link of the paper. Please scroll down to the Table 3 of the paper where said parameters are mentioned. I would be looking forward your reply soon.

best regards

alistu
        Participant

I will try to figire it out as soon as I see the in in the context in the paper.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi aabid

i could not see any attachment in your post.

probably it may be the amplifier gain : noise figure , but i am not sure. please attach the paper.

with regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

sorry alistu i could not attach the link that time as internet went down.
      Anyways i am attaching it now.
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030402613000302

thank you asif for the reminder. Please can you infer something from it.
      Best regards

alistu
        Participant

Thank you for the attachment. The gain mentioned is in dB, and therefore it is not what I thought it was before seeing the context. Now according to the explanation given in the same page as the table, the two number of the gain correspond to the least and the most amount of amplification the author has considered for the amplifier in each case.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

you are welcome Alistu and thank you for your response,
      Are you referring to the least and the most amount of amplification in context of amplification factor??
      that is how i am understanding your statement. I am not sure if i got it right. Please can you put it in simpler words.

best Regards

alistu
        Participant

You are right. That is meant in the paper you have attached. If you please take a look at the very same page in which the table you have addressed in there, you will see something mentioned about some amplifier having been used in its full performance, which is 50 dB, and it corresponds to the greater number for that.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Thank you so much Alistu.
      I appreciate your efforts. Cheers!

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

thanku alistu fotr providing very lucid explaination.

cheers!!!

alistu
      Participant

You’re welcome both.

Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all.. this is really a valuable discussion.

Does it mean in 20:7 dB case, he has used a minimum amplifier gain of 7dB and max amplifier gain of 20dB? But if you check the case where he has mentioned a ration 100:100, what about that. The paper mentions that in worst weather conditions, a gain of 50dB was required. So that makes the 100:100 ratio confusing.

Thanks Aabid for posting the link to this paper.

Regards.

alistu
        Participant

Hi Naazira,

I think the number used as the amplification of the amplifiers increases as the attenuation in FSO channel increases according to the table Aabid has addressed. In some cases, the lowest and highest amplification are more close to each other, with one condition both having the same value.

Regards

Hello every one.

I think it simply signifies the range of amplification the author has possibly used in his design for different cases.
      For the 100:100 case he has probably kept the value of gain constant at 100,while for all other cases he has varied the gain from one value to another.

Regards

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.