Home Forums SYSTEM MZM and MZI

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      when i was studying some of the papers, I came to know Mach Zehnder Modulator and Mach-Zehnder interferometer, So I want to know what is the difference between between these two. I also want to know the difference between the single drive and dual drive mach-Zehnder modulator. which one is more advantageous, or or it is application specific. and where should I use lithium Niobate Mach-Zehnder modulator and where to use the simple one.
      Thank You.

Regards

MHD NA
      Participant

I have the same qusetions, because i am designing a project about RoF and confused to put MZI or MZM..I’m follower to this topic.
      I need you help Optiwave team ASAP.

Regards,

alistu
        Participant

While the fundamental differences between MZI and MZM can be discussed, it is fairly easy to know where to use MZM and where to use MZI. You can use MZM for modulation purposes; when you want to modulate a signal using this structure. For other purposes such as filtering, you can use the Mach-Zehnder Interferometer.

MHD NA
      Participant

Hi alistu,
      do MZI and MZM in the same operation?; i.e do they behave in the same way in optical system?
      PLz, could you give us some snapshots show frequency spectrum after each of them.

Regards,

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

As Alistu mentioned Mach-zehnder modulator is used at the transmitter for modulating the signal. ie, electric signal is applied to both the plates of the MZI for controlling the amplitude of an optical wave. The input waveguide is split up into two waveguide arms. If a voltage is applied across one of the arms, a phase shift is induced for the wave passing through that arm. When the two arms are recombined, the phase difference between the two waves is converted to an amplitude modulation.
      Whereas in case of Mach-Zehnder interferometer the light is spitted into two parts and then MZI is used to measure the relative phase difference between the two beams, here delay element can be used or a different path length is used. Basically I have seen the use of mach-Zehnder interferometer in the receiver side.

Regards

+2
      Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Thank you Alistu, Namera and Dhiman. But I need more specific brief explanation.

Regards

alistu
        Participant

I think you need to be more specific about further information you are demanding, as Dhiman’s statement was pretty much the gist. Do you want to know the basis on which a Mach-Zehnder Interferometer works? Or do you want to know about the biasing of the Mach-Zehnder Modulator?

Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Yes Alistu,
      the information provided by Dhiman is pretty enough to understand. Yes of-course I would like to know about the dc bias RF voltage, that we see in the component properties. Thanks for the reply.

Regards

+1
        alistu
        Participant

Then I assume you want to know about LiNb MZM component, the only component that you have to bias among the ones you have named. i suggest that you visit the following topic and also consider the attached file which explains the settings of the component. I hope it will be helpful to you.

MZM Operation and Pulse Carving [Optical System]

Regards

Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Thanks Alistu I will look into this.

Dhananjay Patel
      Participant

LiNb MZM, is a dual electrode MZM, usally biased at quadrature. For your analysis, you can keep the vlotage of switching equal to 4 volts and bias voltage equal to 2 volts. this will make MZM perform in linear region.

Besides, try reading more papers on MZM. This will give you an insight of the parameters and their values to be choosen depending upon your application.

Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Thank you dhananjay. What factor decides these voltage you have mentioned some specific value. How did you calculate or Got it. I want to know more about this.

Regards

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.