Home Forums KNOWLEDGE MZM Operation and Pulse Carving [Optical System]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Question:

I would like to simulate a commercial optical intensity modulator in OptiSystem. Which is the most suitable component to use and how does it function?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Answer:

There are two simple options. The easy one would be using the Mach-Zehnder Modulator which you only need to define the Extinction ratio.

The second option is using the LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator which is a more detailed model. Using this model, you can define the Insertion loss, Extinction ratio, VÏ€ voltage, etc.

Since it is a dual driven device, the LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator can be setup to include settings for the bias voltages and the amplitudes of the modulation voltages at both arms, simply by checking the Normalize electrical signal box.

In the attached file, I have provided three examples using the LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator to modulate optical signals. Each example is set to a different bias voltage to achieve different pulse carving characteristics. Instead of using the internal options of the modulator, I have provided external circuitry and an external bias to drive the modulator in push-pull mode.

If the Absorption and Phase data is available, then it is easy to implement the Dual Port Dual Drive Mach-Zender Modulator Measured component.

Suresh Sapkota
      Participant

unable to open this attachment. Please help me.

Fabrice MFUAMBA
      Participant

Thank You so much

Ninh Bui Trung
      Participant

(Awaiting moderation)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.