Home Forums SYSTEM Modelling of Scintillation effect in optisystem

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Marvi grover
      Participant

Hello everyone

I need to see the effect of scintillation on the FSO link in my system. Can somebody guide me on how to introduce scintillation effect on the FSO link in optisystem.

I shall be really thankful.

Regards

alistu
      Participant

Hi Marvi,

In the main parameters, you can consider loss due to scintillation in the “additional losses” parameters. Also, in “enhanced” parameters, you can determine whether or not the intensity scintillation is taken into consideration. If you would like to know the effect of it being added to the channel, you can refer to relation 2 in the technical background.

Regards

Marvi grover
        Participant

okk alistu. Thankyou so much.

i needed one more help. can you elaborate on the role of a power combiner. i used a power combiner after a fork(with 4 output ports), and at the output of the power combiner i got a power which was four times the power at the input of the fork. so does that mean , that power got added four times that it got increased at the output of the combiner????

alistu
          Participant

You’re welcome Marvi. The power combiner adds the input signals, but its output power is the mean of its input powers (and not sum of them). This is true for power combiner of version 13.0.3. I don’t know if changes have been made to it in the new version. However, when you use fork, it copies the input signal in each of its outputs.

Marvi grover
          Participant

okk Alistu. thankyou.
          which one is realistic(practical) and better. should i use the power combiner which calculates the mean of the inputs or the one which sums the inputs.

alistu
          Participant

You’re welcome. I have asked about this component in the following topic and yet, no answer has been given:

Power Reduction in Optical Combiner

I have checked some data sheets and found the combiners loss different from the combiner component. Meanwhile, I prefer to use WDM MUX IDEAL component to add the signals and consider the combiner loss by setting a value for the insertion loss.

Marvi grover
          Participant

okk alistu.
          thanks a lot for it

alistu
      Participant

You’re welcome Marvi. What we discussed about scintillation in FSO channel and what I mentioned in my first comment in this topic also applies to the optical wireless communication channel component (OWC channel), which is also available in free space optics library if you are interested.

Regards

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.