Home Forums SYSTEM diffrence between mach-zehender and LiNb Mach-zhender modulators

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      AMIR MURAD
      Participant

Hi,
      I am working on optical modulators. i come across mach-zehender and LiNb Mach-zhender modulators in optisystem library. Can any body please explain difference between both of them. so for i understand as one is single drive and other is dual drive modulators. but if any body knows some about difference in architecture or fabrication materials please. Thanks in advance.

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Amir Murad,

As far as Mach-Zehnder Modulator is concerned you only need it to define the Extinction ratio whereas LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator is a more detailed model. Using this model, you can define the Insertion loss, Extinction ratio,voltage, etc.Since LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator is a dual driven device, the LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator can be setup to include settings for the bias voltages and the amplitudes of the modulation voltages at both arms, simply by checking the Normalize electrical signal box.
      I also suggest you to go through the following link:

MZM Operation and Pulse Carving [Optical System]

Hope this helps
      All the best

Regards
      Sahil Singh

pooja rawat
      Participant

Hi Murad
      I to some extent with sahil singh that Mach-Zehnder Modulator is concerned it is to define the Extinction ratio whereas LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator is a more detailed model. Using this model, you can define the Insertion loss, Extinction ratio,voltage, etc.Since LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator is a dual driven device, the LiNb Mach-Zehnder Modulator can be setup to include settings for the bias voltages and the amplitudes of the modulation voltages at both arms, simply by checking the Normalize electrical signal box.
      You should follow think posted by Mr. Sahil Singh.

It will surely help you.

Thanks
      Regards

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Amir Murad Sir..
      I think you should consult the link provided by Sahil sir..it will be helpful for you..
      I hope this will help you..

With Regards
      Jyoti raina

AMIR MURAD
      Participant

thanks sahil, jyoti, poja and rather. i will look it into it.

But i will also like to know, is the fabrication meterial of mach zehender is diffrent from LiNb mach zhender??

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi AMIR MURAD,
      LiNb Mach-zhender modulators is operating in the quadrature mode.The modulator is set to work in a non-normalized way, which means the electrical input signal will not be normalized. This means that the bias voltage places the modulator at the midpoint of the optical response curve, and therefore, the intensity is at half of its peak value.
      Where as A Mach-Zehnder modulator is used to control the amplitude of an optical wave. The Mach-Zehnder modulator is an intensity modulator based on an interferometric principle.By means of an electro-optic effect, an externally applied voltage can be used to vary the refractive indices in the waveguide branches. It The input waveguide is split up into two waveguide interferometer arms. If a voltage is applied across one of the arms, a phase shift is induced for the wave passing through that arm. When the two arms are recombined, the phase difference between the two waves is converted to an amplitude modulation.

Hope this will help you.

AMIR MURAD
      Participant

thanks Rajgura, your response is quite helpful.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.