Home Forums SYSTEM X polarized and Y polarized light Vs TE and TM mode lights

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Subhash Arya
      Participant

Dear All,
      Often we have seen that CW-laser’s light is fed into polarization splitter to get X polarized light and Y-polarized light. Do these X-polarized light is TE fundamental mode light and Y polarized light is TM fundamentla mode light, respectively? Or Is there any relation between dual polaration communication and TE and TM lights?
      Thanking you.

Ahmad Atieh

Hello Subhash,
      the field of the light of a CW laser can be polarized (aligned) to a slow (X-polarization), a fast axis (Y-polarization) or a combination. The filed of the light in optical fiber (cylindrical shape) is an LP01, which is an HE11 mode. The SMF can’t support TE or TM modes.
      I hope this clarify the issue.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Subhash Arya
      Participant

Thank you sir for respond. I think, I could not convey my question properly.
      I am trying to understand that whether x polarized light emitted from CW laser is actually a TE polarized light or not and similarly Y-polarized light is equal to TM polarized light or not as in case of rectangular waveguides (strip, rib or ridge) /devices designed to support TE and TM polarized light. I understand that circular structure of fiber supports LP modes which are hybrid in nature.
      Is there any relation between X-polarized light with TE mode light?

Ahmad Atieh

Hello,
      the emitted field of the CW laser is electric only no magnetic field emitted. This filed can be aligned to the slow, fast or both axes.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.