Home Forums FDTD What kind of structures I cannot simulate using OptiFDTD ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lorenzo Spongano
      Participant

As I asked in the title I would like to know what kind of structures I cannot simulate using OptiFDTD

Scott Newman

Hello Lorenzo,

The general limitation of any FDTD engine is primarily computational resources as 3D simulations can quickly require significant amounts of memory and processing power. It would be easier to discuss the structures you wish to model and go from there.

Scott

Lorenzo Spongano
      Participant

Thank you for your answer Scott, I am using OptiFDTD in the framework of CAD for Electromagnetics, therefore I guess I can simulate structures like guided structures or antennas (Dipole Antennas in Particular)

Scott Newman

Hello Lorenzo,

OptiFDTD can definitely model those structures. The only real limitation of any FDTD algorithm is the overall size of your domain relative to your source wavelength as well as your smallest feature sizes. There are additionally constraints but they are generally very specific to get into here without knowing your specific application.

We have a series of webinars located on the site (https://optiwave.com/category/resources/webinars). If you select “View entire list” (will need to login) then you can find all of the videos for OptiFDTD which should provide you with an idea of our capabilities.

Scott

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Scott Newman.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Scott Newman.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.