Home Forums SYSTEM What is the significance of the "generate seed" parameter in the design

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Remo De Suza
      Participant

Hello All.
      Actually here i wish to ask that what is it about the “generate seed” option in the design parameters of every component. what is its importance.

Regards
      Remo

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi Remo De Suza,
      Seed means here is the bit i.e. 1 or 0 that are generated to be processed by the system. Generate Random seed is very much required for a system in communication because a communication system is not specifically designed for a specific pattern of bit stream. This helps us to check the flexibility of the system, I mean the system should behave approximately the same manner or should give a approx equal output (negligible deviation can be neglected). So this is the importance i.e. for checking the system behaviour. Thanking you.

Regards,
      Dhiman

+2
      Remo De Suza
      Participant

Hello Dhiman. Thank you so much and good to hear from you again.
      I very well understood your point but then i would like to ask why should we uncheck the option of generate random seed then when it is an important factor. Won’t it take away the flexibility of the systems by disabling it.

Thanks and regards
      Remo De’Suza

+3
        Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hello Remo De Suza,
        I would say that in any of my system design i never disabled the “generate random seed” option because at every time of the execution i get a negligible difference from the previous value. If you are getting a large change at the output with this option enabled then there must be some issue with you design that need to troubleshoot. Thanking you.

regards,
        Dhiman

Remo De Suza
          Participant

Hello Dhiman. Thanks for sharing so much. I should be very thankful indeed.

You know there is not huge variation but there is little and it irritates. I wanted to know the cause behind this variation which by the help of you people i got to know. Secondly i wanted to know why was it important to disable the random seed. Now what i understood from the all discussion is that we should try to enable it and look for other alternatives to control variation of results.

regards
          Remo De’Suza

+3
          Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Hi Remo De’Suza, agree to both the points you mentioned here.

Regards,
          Dhiman

Remo De Suza
          Participant

Hello Dhiman. Thank you for that.

+1
      Ubaid Bhat
      Participant

hi Remo De Suza,
      well as already mentioned by dhamin kakti that with the help of random seed we are able to find the flexibility of the system.Well because of random seed the results may change slightly everytime because everytime a different bit sequence is generated. So for constant results you should uncheck the parameter.thus consistency of the results can be ensured after unchecking the random seed option no matter haw many times you simulate the design.hope you got my point.
      with regards
      ubaid bhat

+5
        Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hello Ubaid Bhat. Thanks for your concern. I highly appreciate your efforts.

I wanted to know the cause behind this variation which by the help of you people i got to know. Secondly i wanted to know why was it important to disable the random seed. Now what i understood from the all discussion is that we should try to enable it and look for other alternatives to control variation of results. I hope you understand what actually i wanted.

regards
        Remo De’Suza

+2
      SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Remo De Suza,

I completely agree with the view of Dhiman kakati and Ubaid bhat that by making use of Random seed we are able to find the flexibility of the system and the results may change slightly everytime because of a different bit sequence generated… I think Remo has got this point now.. All the best

Regards
      Sahil Singh

+4
        Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hello Sahil Singh. Thanks for your concern i really appreciate your concerns.

As i have mentioned that I wanted to know the cause behind this variation which by the help of you people i got to know. Secondly i wanted to know why was it important to disable the random seed. Now what i understood from the all discussion is that we should try to enable it and look for other alternatives to control variation of results. I hope you too got my point.

regards
        Remo De’Suza

+1
      SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello Remo De Suza,

Well i am glad that you got the desired help on the optiwave forum regarding your query on random seed.. You have got it correct that we should try to enable the random seed and look for other alternatives in our design to control variation of results.. Thanks for the information.. All the best..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hi Sahil Singh.
        Thank you for your suggestions and the time you gave it here. I must thank you people for giving better explanations for the doubts i had.

With Regards
        Remo De’Suza

+1

Hello Remo and all

Well it is pretty much explained by Dhiman and ubaid that what is the significance of enabling the random seed.. But it would be quite interesting to check the difference between two conditions while in one you enable it and in the other you try by disabling this option.. It depends on you whether you want the values taken by components to be randomly varying or you want them to be constant.. Depends on practical conditions your deaign wpuld be implemented.. While as practically randomness occurs..

Regards

Burhan

+9
        Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hi Burhan num mina. Thank you for your concern.
        I believe the randomness is important then atleast for the practical scenario because as you mentioned the randomness is co-related with any system in practicality and to assure that we should keep the random seed option enabled. But then again if for simulation purposes we want our results to not vary to a large extent we must disable it. I guess that is what i understood from this whole discussion.
        Anyways thank you everyone for your time and support.

With Regards
        Remo De’Suza

+1

Hi Remo De suza

Yeah you very well got my point.. This what i know about the random seed.. Generation of random seed would not always signify the practical conditions as it can also be constant in some cases.. So it whole and soley depends on the conditions and practical components we employ in the design itself..

Regards

Burhan

+3
        Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hello Burhan. Thank you so very much for your concern.
        I highly appreciate your concern. I got the problem and solution as well. Thank you everyone for your time and efforts.

With regards
        Remo De’Suza

+1
      jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Remo Sir..
      i also faced this problem initially when i started using up the optisystem tool. I too was unaware of this generate random seed and i had posted the query too.. but good question you have asked here.. I also had in mind why we disable this option..and what could be the difference..now going through the comments it is very much clear why so.. Thank you for bringing up the query.

With Regards
      Jyoti

+2
        Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hi Jyoti. Thank you for responding.
        I think we should keep it enabled because in practical scenario the randomness will be there so better if we try to simulate more of practical systems. I hope the results do not vary that much. Anyways Thanks.

With Regards
        Remo De’Suza

+1
          jyoti raina
          Spectator

Hi remo Sir..
          I agree with your point.. It is better to implement more practical design and take results accordingly..I hope it will be a good discussion in future..

With Regards
          jyoti Raina

+2
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

H Remo De Suza,
      In optisystem we have Generate random seed which Determines if the seed is automatically defined and unique and also Random seed index
      User-defined seed index for noise generation.
      As in the BER test set we have multiple binary sequence generation options namely a PRBS generator, User Defined sequence generation, or external Sequence. The PRBS and User Defined sequence generators are exact copies of the PRBS and User Defined sequence components respectively whose default values for the number leading and trailing zeros is not the same. The PRBS generator inside the BER test set takes its number of leading and trailing zeros from the layout parameters and has default values of 0. The PRBS component defines the leading and trailing zeros within its own component and has default values of “(Time window * 3 / 100 ) * Bit rate”. This can make a big difference. Try setting them the same for a better comparison. For now, if you need to generate a random seed each calculation, you can set the BER Test Set, to choose “external component” and connect a PRBS component to it.

Seeking your response.

Attachments:
        Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hello Ranjeet. Thanks for your sincere efforts.
        I highly appreciate it. The information you have shared is very helpful indeed. Various important points you have pointed out. Thanking you.

With Regards
        Remo Se’Suza

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

H Remo De Suza,

I agree with the point of view of Ranjeet Kumar that in optisystem we have Generate random seed which Determines if the seed is automatically defined and unique and also Random seed index User-defined seed index for noise generation…. I believe that in your design you should keep the random seed enabled because in practical scenario the randomness will be some sort of randomness …. I hope this helps you in your design… All the best..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hi Sahil Singh.
        Thanks for your suggestions. Quite helpful indeed. The discussion has been very helpful indeed.
        Regards
        Remo De’Suza

+1
      SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Remo De Suza,

You are welcome.. Indeed the discussions on the optiwave forum are helpful most of the times.. Glad you tend to learn so much on the forum..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi Remo De Suza,

Seed means here is the bit i.e. 1 or 0 that are generated to be processed by the system. Generate Random seed is very much required for a system in communication because a communication system is not specifically designed for a specific pattern of bit stream. This helps us to check the flexibility of the system, I mean the system should behave approximately the same manner or should give a approx equal output (negligible deviation can be neglected). So this is the importance i.e. for checking the system behaviour. Thanking you.

Regards

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.