Home Forums GENERAL WDM system with EDFA-TDFA hybrid amplifier

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Krishna Sarma
      Participant

I am designing an optical link using a hybrid EDFA-TDFA amplifier. Suppose my amplifier works well at an input power say -20 dBm. If I apply -20 dBm input power in the fiber link then after modulation and passing through a fiber of length say 50 km, input power to the amplifier will become different. Do I need to provide input power to the amplifier separately?

Again the amplifier provides a better gain (35 dB) at a specific wavelength but while connecting the amplifier in an optical link the amplifier shows a minimum BER of 1. However, although the gain is low at different wavelengths, BER performance is good.
      Can anyone help me to resolve the issues?

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Sarma,
      you need to make sure that you have enough signal power at the pin detector of the receiver. You also, need to make sure that the signal wavelength is within the amplifier operating wavelength to be amplified and get proper gain.
      Finally, you need to make sure that the noise in the system is not high that may create an issue to the received signal.
      You may email me the project as Zip file. However, you need to let me know if you have valid license of OptiSystem and the version that you use. My email is ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.