Home Forums SYSTEM WDM-PON design

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gaganpreet Kaur
      Participant

hi i need to understand the difference in design of passive optical network and active network. i have my results for a WDM system with improved performance but i dnt know if they are comparable to CWDM-PON results.i gogled but could’nt understnd PONs with reference to design

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Dear Gaganpreet,
      I am not familiar with the design that you have. But theoretically I found the following and may get it helpful for your design.

A Passive Optical Network (PON) consists of an optical line terminator (OLT)
      located at the Central Office (CO) and a set of associated optical network
      terminals (ONT) to terminate the fiber – usually located at the customer’s
      premise. Both of these devices require power. PON gets its name because
      instead of using powered electronics in the outside plant, it instead uses passive
      splitters and couplers to divide up the bandwidth among the end users – typically
      32 over a maximum distance of 10-20km. Because this is a shared network, it is
      sometimes referred to as Point to Multipoint or P2MP.
      Please go through the attached image.

An Active network looks very similar to a PON, however, there are three main
      differences. First, instead of having passive, unmanageable splitters in the field, it
      uses environmentally hardened Ethernet electronics to provide fiber access
      aggregation. Second, instead of sharing bandwidth among multiple subscribers,
      each end user is provided a dedicated “pipe” that provides full bi-directional
      bandwidth. Because of its dedicated nature, this type of architecture is sometimes
      referred to as Point to Point (P2P). The third architectural difference between PON
      and Active is the distance limitation. In a PON network, the furthest subscriber must
      be within 10-20km from the CO, depending on the total number of splits (more
      splits = less distance). An Active network, on the other hand, has a distance
      limitation of 80km, regardless of the number of subscribers being served. The
      number of subscribers is limited only by the switches employed, and not by the
      infrastructure itself, as in the case of PON.

please go through the second image attached”

Thanks

Regards

Attachments:
      alistu
      Participant

Hi Gaganpreet,

I would like to simply give you the answer Damian once gave me when I asked the same question about the difference between an active optical network and a passive optical network a while ago: In a nutshell, in a passive optical network, no active component (active switching) has been used.

Regards

Sasha
      Participant

Hello all,

I am having an assignment in designing WDM PON,they have given that connect optical delay between AWG and bidirectional fiber.

In optisystem tutorial,they have used optical delay before and after the bidirectional fiber. link is here.

Broadband Optical System Based on a Passive Optical Network (BPON)

What is the difference between connecting optical delay before and after the bidirectional fiber and connecting optical delay between AWG and bidirectional fiber?

Why buffer selector is used in the tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.