Home Forums GENERAL WDM Mux

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      Could anyone will help me understand between AWG and WDM mux.
      Where and why we use both. I think usually in DWDM we use WDM mux, not AWG.
      So, please make understand. Here i am attaching osd file of 8 channel DWDM system using CSRZ modulation, here may i use AWG in place of WDM Mux.

Attachments:
      alistu
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet,

The component “MUX” acts like a black box. You can define the characteristics such as number of channels, bandwidth and so on and then use it as a multiplexer. “AWG” is a physical component which is usually used as multiplexer or demultiplexer in wavelength division multiplexing systems.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi ranjeet,
      mux is the simple black box as alistu mentioned, the practical signifance is actually of AWG(array waveguide grating), i am attacching link that might help you,
      https://www.rp-photonics.com/arrayed_waveguide_gratings.html

with reagrds

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Thank you Alistu sir and Aasif sir for making things clear to me.
      It means that could i use either of both in any designs.

umer syed
      Participant

HI ALL,
      THANKS AASIF AND ALISTU SIR,
      FOR THERE VALUABLE EFFORT AND GREAT EXPLAINING SKILS

WITH REGARDS

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

you are welcome ranjeet and umer syed

hi.
      Arrayed waveguide gratings are mainly applied in optical fiber communication systems, in particular in those based on multi-channel transmission with wavelength division multiplexing (WDM)……..where individual wavelength channels must be combined or separated e-g TWDM PONs etc…
      However i would like to mention that while using AWG for my implementation , my performance was not that gud but using WDM mux/demux separately my performance was better.
      Thanks and regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Thank you FAYIQA NAQSHBANDI ma’m
      It means WDM mux improve the results better than Arrayed waveguide gratings.

Hi Ranjeet

No thats not what i mean.Infact AWGs are being mostly used to implement the DWDM systems.This popularity is largely due to the fact
      that AWG-based devices have been proven capable of precisely demultiplexing a high number of optical signals (carrying information at various wavelengths) with relative low loss.
      So try designing your system using AWG.Infact the integration of the AWG offers many advantages such as compactness and reliability which are also the important requirements of any system design.

Regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

hi FAYIQA NAQSHBANDI ma’m
      Okk Ma’m
      I agree with your points.
      As AWG works on principle of interferometry. It is widely used as optical multiplexer and optical demultiplexer.
      The following links help me to understand the above points , which i am sharing
      http://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/What-is-Optical-AWG-Arrayed-Waveguide-Grating.html
      http://www.flyinoptronics.com/40-ch-100g-awg-dwdm-mux-demux.html
      http://www.fiberdyne.com/products/awg-dwdm-field-modules.html

Thank you ma’m

HI RANJEET
        you’re welcome anytime…it was a productive discussions and discussions lead to clearance of doubts and confusions…
        Thanks and regards

MHD NA
      Participant

The component “MUX” acts like a black box. You can define the characteristics such as number of channels, bandwidth and so on and then use it as a multiplexer. “AWG” is a physical component which is usually used as multiplexer or demultiplexer in wavelength division multiplexing systems.

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

hi.
      Arrayed waveguide gratings are mainly applied in optical fiber communication systems, in particular in those based on multi-channel transmission with wavelength division multiplexing (WDM)……..where individual wavelength channels must be combined or separated e-g TWDM PONs etc…However i would like to mention that while using AWG for my implementation , my performance was not that gud but using WDM mux/demux separately my performance was better.
      Thanks and regards

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.