Home Forums GENERAL WDM evaluation Performance

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Yousef Fazea
      Participant

Dear all,

If WDM performance has been enhanced, then evaluation performance before the enhancement and after should take place.
      My Question, Is there any standardize WDM so that we can compare with?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Yousef,

If you are willing to know about WDM being used in passive optical network standards, the only PON standardized with WDM is NGPON2 as far as I am concerned. Otherwise, could you please be more specific about the type of network you are looking for the standards of (for example LAN, or any other networks)?

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi yousef,
      First of all can you please tell what type of WDM system are you designing?
      In current scenario most of the systems are WDM based systems. Please make it a bit specific what actually you are designing and accordingly we can suggest few things to you.

Thanks and Regards

Hi yousef

Please be a bit clear about what you are asking.
      As far as the performance comparison of any system is concerned.You should first refer to the Standards defined for that system by ITU/IEEE.Then you can compare your results with the already designed networks.Like go through some standard research papers and then compare the performance of your optimized system with them.

Thanks

Yousef Fazea
      Participant

Thank you all for your prompt response

My scope is Direct-Detect System (LAN). So i have developed successfully WDM-MDM system but to prove this claim i have to compare my results with standardized WDM or at least WDM with a year 2014 or 2015. Your kind help is appreciated

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello yousef,
      you are welcome. As far as i am concerned, you can yourself design a simple WDM system taking parameters of the system in accordance the parameters suggested by ITU-T/ IEEE or the other thing you can do is just refer to paper which has implemented simple WDM system and compare its results with the one you developed. You can refer to the examples in the sample files provided by optiwave itself under the folder name WDM systems.
      You can also refer to the following link which is a 16 channel WDM system in optiwave.

16 Channel WDM System Design

Regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

hi,
      as far as i know NGPON1 is not being standarised till now while NGPON2 Is standarised with downlink data rate of 40 gbps and 10 gbps in uplink.
      So, if you will use TWDM PON you have to follow standards of NGPON2.

alistu
        Participant

Hi Ranjeet,

I believe NGPON1 to have been standardized a few years before NGPON2 was standardized. However, I totally agree that the only PON standard that makes use of WDM is NG-PON2 so far, which makes use of WDm for the downstream and TDMA for upstream. This scheme has been called TWDM as you have mentioned.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi all,
      I agree with both of you that if we talk about NG-PON, at the moment ITU-T has standardised only only NG-PON2 though many I believe many have worked on NG-PON1 systems as well. I request you that if anyone finds a paper on NG-PON1 design mentioning it’s parameters please share a link to it…

Regards

Hi everyone

I agree with alistu that NGPON1 systems has already been standardised well before NGPON2 even came up.NGPON1 is basically 10 giga bit capable XGPON system and NGPON2 systems are an improevemnt over the XGPON systems now.The main aim of NGPON2 is to design systems which are backward compatible with NGPON1 systems and support a higher data rate of at least 40 Gb/s in DS and 10 in US compared to the 10 Gb/s support by NGPON1 systems.

G.987 is the standard defined for NGPON1 systems.

Regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hello fayiqa,
        thank you for sharing a detailed information on NGPON1 and NGPON2. Now i could make out a clear distinction between the two. The compatibility point you mentioned is very valid.
        Regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi alistu sir,
      I agree with you that NGPON1 and NGPON2 both should be standardised and NGPON1 SHOULD BE standardised before NGPON2 but it doesn’t happen yet.
      I think we all are shifted to later PON technology because of speed in both downlink and uplink.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.