Home Forums FDTD Units of the distribution of the Electric Field and Magnetic Field

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Good afternoon,

I would like to know the units of the distributions of the Electric Field and of the Magnetic Field (see in attached) or are they normalized?

Could you help me?

Best regards,

Miguel Simões Rosa

Instituto Superior Técnico

I think v/m.

And for the Magnetic Field?

Attachments:

Thanks! Best regards

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Miguel,

Just want to add from myself to previous correct answers that the other SI unit that can be used for electric field is Newton/Coulomb, where 1 V/m = 1 N/C.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the answer but what I want to know is the units used by the OptiFDTD in the presentation of the images of the distributions of the Electric and Magnetic Field.
      For example in the second image, the image of distribution of the Magnetic Field, that I sent in attached, the maximum amplitude corresponds to 4e^-0.004. Is this value in Amps/meter?

Best regards,

Miguel Simões Rosa

Damian Marek
      Participant

In OptiFDTD electric fields are given as V/m and magnetic fields as A/m. So the values you are mentioning are given in A/m

Thanks very much Damian! Now it’s clear!

Best regards,

Miguel Simões Rosa

Haya AlSharif
      Participant

Hello,
      I am facing aproblem with the electric field calculations.
      (1) what observation planes should I add to my deisgn to measure the electric field in XY, XZ, YZ planes? I used only XY plane and I place it where the SPR is happening, however it doesnt show the results from XZ planes.
      (2) I sat the input wavelength to the maxiumum SPR wavelength using a continuos waveguid. Is that the right way to do it?
      (3) After I simulate the deisgn for XY plane and export the data, I got many files, two of them were ExDFT, and EyDFT. I do not understand what do they actually mean. Most papers report the total electric field curves at XY, XZ, and YZ planes, and not Ey and Ex for each of the cartisian planes. How can I combine them in one cure to get the result of the total E?
      (4) DO you have any aditional sources that will help me in understanding the electric field in optifdtd

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.