Home Forums SYSTEM Timing Jitter in Laser

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Jamal
      Participant

Hi all,
      Can anyone suggest a way to add jitter in optical pulses ?

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Timing Jitter is one of the unwanted phenomena at the output of the receiver, we should try to avoid pulse broadening.
      Regarding you question about “way to add jitter in optical pulses” you can increase the Laser linewidth this will definitely increase the timing jitter. But take care about the Inter symbol interference (ISI).

Regards,
      Dhiman

Jamal
      Participant

Thank you Dhiman
      Is there any way to add a particular amount of jitter. Like if I want to add 10fs jitter, what should I be doing then ?

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Ok for adding Jitter of your required no. I need to check in optisystem what are the possible option available. I need some more time to respond to you.

Regards,
        Dhiman

Jamal
      Participant

Sure Dhiman

Jamal
      Participant

And also can you tell, how to calculate how much the jitter a laser pulse is already producing ?

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Jamal,
        Timing jitter is negligible in case of output of a laser, But it is one of the dominant factor at the output of a demodulator, Because of multipath propagation of the different light wavelength as different wavelength has different speed of propagation.
        Regarding Jitter calculation in Optisystem there is no such specific tool which will help us to calculate it. I would suugest you to calculate it manually from the eye diagram as shown in the attached picture below:

Regards,
        Dhiman

Attachments:
      Jamal
      Participant

Okay but when i will convert the output to electrical, there will be photodiode noise also and the eye diagram would not give me only the jitter of laser then right ?
      Can I add jitter in the pulses separately ?

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Jamal, Yaa sure you can add jitter by using at electrical part of the circuit by using the component “electrical jitter”,
        it calculates jitter from the signal positions with respect to time, Its amplitude is measured in term of “Unit intervals (UI)”, and Unit intervals represents the phase deviation from the period of clock signal, The peak-to-peak UI deviation of the phase function with respect to time is referred as jitter amplitude For how the electrical jitter component work please go through the help sections in the component properties. I think this may be beneficial for you.

Regards,
        Dhiman

Jamal
          Participant

Dhiman, how would I add a 100fs jitter for an 8GHz clock using electrical jitter component ?

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Jamal,

I agree with the point of view of Dhiman here, It is very correctly mentioned that timing jitter is almost negligible when we consider the case of output of a laser, but one definitely needs to take into account that it is one of the dominant factor at the output of a demodulator, because of multipath propagation of the different light wavelength as different wavelength has different speed of propagation… Thanks Dhiman for the nice explanation of the concept..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Jamal
      Participant

Dhiman and Sahil thank you for the guidance.
      Dhiman thank you for telling about the electrical jitter, but I was wondering if there was any way we could add jitter via some phase noise in a laser pulse

I have actually made a multiple wavelength laser source and now I am trying to find its jitter following your method. Can you see if I am doing it right. I am attaching the setup also

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Jamal,
        I am Unable to open your design file showing some error. “unable to load document from storage”. I need help from you regarding this. I am using Optisystem V13. Thanking you.

Regards,
        Dhiman

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Jamal,
      I would suggest you to please visit following links for Timing jitter in LASER. As Timing jitter is related
      to phase noise in the optical frequency components of the incoming pulse train.
      The relevant jitter can be that between data-carrying pulses and a clock signal
      In the absence of any technical noise, the jitter of a mode-locked laser
      is limited by quantum noise, but in most cases it is dominated by vibrations and drifts of the laser resonator.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=135313&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel1%2F3%2F3684%2F00135313.pdf%3Farnumber%3D135313
      http://inspirehep.net/record/824106/files/fermilab-conf-09-191.pdf
      https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-18-5-5041

Hope this will help you

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Jamal,
      As we know Jitter is defined as the short-term variations of a digital signal’s
      significant instants from their ideal positions in time
      Although Aligant technologies has device 81134A with which it is easy to
      add jitter to any kind of data or clock signal. This is very
      useful if you need to test the jitter tolerance of your circuit
      designs, e.g. data receivers or clock recovery circuits, allows you to measure and
      characterize the jitter that disturbs your signals.

We have Electrical Jitter which Inserts jitter in the input signal in optisystem,
      for design go through link:

Signal degradation – Jitter

We could measure jitter in optisystem using Eye and BER Analyzer: Eye diagrams with color grades and histogram analysis in user defined regions. Includes user defined FEC gain curve, jitter measurements, and eye masks in accordance with Agilent standard file format.
      Thanks

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.