Home Forums FIBER The bit rate

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      san lymit
      Participant

Dear,

How could I measure the bit rate at the receiver?

Thank you.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Dear San, what do you mean exactly? The bitrate is set on the transmit side, and not at the receive side…can you explain a little bit more your application?

san lymit
        Participant

Dear Alessandro,

Sorry, I confused,

Alessandro Festa
          Participant

No problem San, the forum is made for helping 😀

Alessandro

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Dear San, as far as I know, in case of bit rate at the receiver side it will be the same as the transmitter if your system is ok. only the effect of attenuation, dispersion will be there. if the bit rate changes that means you are missing some of the bits transmitted that will be the loss of information. that will be the failure of the system.

Regards.

Shahbaz Qureshi
      Participant

Dear San,

Bit rate stays same and it is set at the transmitter side. However, you can measure the received power at the receiver which is always less than the one set at transmitter.

In order to see the bit rate, you can double click and a window will appear. There you can see and change the bit rate according to your system requirements.

alistu
        Participant

Hi Shahbaz,

The received power is not necessarily always less than the transmitted power. More specifically, if optical amplifiers are used in the transmission line, the power might actually exceed the launched power. However, this might degrade the signal due to the optical amplifier noise figure.

Regards

Shahbaz Qureshi
          Participant

Hi Alistu,

You are correct. I forgot to mention about the use of amplifiers. Their use certainly increases the power than the launched power.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.