Home Forums BPM tapered waveguide

tapered waveguide

Profile Photo
(joined April 2014)
Participant

How to design a tapered wave guide to increase the efficiency? in my case I have 9 micron fiber to wave guide is 2um so I have to design on taper that can change 9 micron to 2 micron the problem is high lost and still I am looking for single mode, please help me about it? any file of tutorial that I can refer?
Is the “Create a Chip-to-fiber Butt Coupler” suit for this matter? thanks.

Responses (8):

How to design a tapered wave guide to increase the efficiency? in my case I have 9 micron fiber to wave guide is 2um so I have to design on taper that can change 9 micron to 2 micron the problem is high lost and still I am looking for single mode, please help me about it? any file of tutorial that I can refer?
      Is the “Create a Chip-to-fiber Butt Coupler” suit for this matter? thanks.

the tapered is better to be with the main design or different? I mean first I should do the main design then do the tapered? many thanks

Profile Photo
      Damian Marek
      Participant

I would say start with the main design (two waveguides to be coupled) first. Then attempt a taper design. You will probably have to go back and forth between them until you can find a good middle ground. The larger the differences are between the waveguides the harder it will be to make a good taper or connection between them.

Regards

+1

my fiber is 8 micron and my waveguide is 2 micron, still I am designing the single mode, I just reached to 5 micron to 2 micron is single mode, even for 6micron to 2 micron I got 2 mode, and I have to go for 8 to 2 micron, I totally confused any solution? many thanks.

even for 8 micron planar wave guide I just get 3 modes no matter how long it is! is there any way to have a tapper that can exchange from 8 micron to the 2 micron?

I seriously need to make tapper from 8 micron that I suppose to connect to the fiber to the 2 micron that I will connect to my wave guide. just in case just let me know any possibilities to design single mode within this matter? please inform me about it many thanks.

Profile Photo
      Damian Marek
      Participant

What type of constraints do you have? Does the waveguide sit directly on the substrate? The material that makes up the ridge waveguide has a very high index of refraction in your project file 3.45 can you use a different material?

it is straight connected I am using SOI, unfortunately no I cannot because I have to do the fabrication with it and it cannot be changed, is there any solution to wave this problem?

Login You must be logged in to reply to this topic.