Home Forums SYSTEM Sweep power in WDM system

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hello Everyone,
      Presently I am working with WDM system samples that are available in the Optisystem 13 samples folder. Here I came across that there they have used power in sweep mode. why not in normal mode..? what are the advantages of using laser power in sweep mode. I am looking for how they are calculating inthose powers for each sweep…? one more noticeable is that all the power levels in the sweeps are in decimal, So there must be some technique or formula for calculating those powers.
      I tried with my own set power at the sweeps still i am getting an expected output. So for optimum result there may be some formula.. looking for your reply. Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
      Dhiman

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Dhiman,
      As far as i am concerned in my opinion we usually use “sweep” option for any parameter just to avoid multiple executions of same design for different values of some parameters in our system design. Here i think they would have done the same with power level of the system.
      And as far as your other question about power conversion is concerned you can find online calculator for the power conversion from dBm / mW / db to db / mW/ dBm and the applied formulae as well. You Can check those as well in various papers too. But here i suggest you to have a look on the online power conversion calculators.

Regards

+11
        Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hello Aabid baba,
        Thank you so much for the response. I am unable understand your line “we usually use “sweep” option for any parameter just to avoid multiple executions of same design for different values of some parameters in our system design” Will you please provide me a little detail in this context.
        I am very much clear about the conversion from one scale to another scale such as mw to dBm or db. I mean for each iteration they are increasing the power that to not in integer form rather a long decimal form I am giving herewith a snapshot. please have a look into this.

Regards,
        Dhiman

+2

Hello Dhiman Kakati
      There are various steps to follow. I hope this will help you.
      Double click on the final results file whose file name has the last iteration number.
      Select Power Sweep Analysis under tools menu. Power Sweep Viewer appears.
      The data can be selected from the top Drop-down list menu.
      Select Power Spectrum on Observation line
      Select/unselect the swept parameter from the left side list to display/un-display the corresponding power spectrum.
      Click on the icon on the up-left corner in graph to check the graph tools and displayed data operation.

Thanks

+15
      Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Dhiman,
      I agree to the points of aabid baba that ” use “sweep” option for any parameter just to avoid multiple executions of same design for different values of some parameters in our system design”.

thanks,

+3
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.