Home Forums SYSTEM Spatial Visualizer

Spatial Visualizer

Profile Photo
(joined April 2014)
Participant

Hi,

I use one Spatial CW Laser source and split it into two and a Rotation Angle of 90 degree is introduced in one of the arms so to have the signal in this arm polarized in Y direction.

I can rightly see so on the Spectrum Analyzer and View Signal Visualizer as one signal is X polarized and the other one is Y polarized. But both the signals/fundamental modes appear on the X Polarization in the Spatial Visualizer and there is no signal when I choose Y Polarization in Spatial Visualizer.

Can someone explain the issue here?

Please find the attached .osd file to see it.

Thanks!

Responses (4):

Profile Photo
      Ahmad Mustafa
      Participant

Hi,

I use one Spatial CW Laser source and split it into two and a Rotation Angle of 90 degree is introduced in one of the arms so to have the signal in this arm polarized in Y direction.

I can rightly see so on the Spectrum Analyzer and View Signal Visualizer as one signal is X polarized and the other one is Y polarized. But both the signals/fundamental modes appear on the X Polarization in the Spatial Visualizer and there is no signal when I choose Y Polarization in Spatial Visualizer.

Can someone explain the issue here?

Please find the attached .osd file to see it.

Thanks!

Profile Photo
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Ahmad,

Thanks for pointing this out. The Polarization Rotator is not correctly calculating the new spatial distribution. If you want to rotate your spatial signal I would suggest using the Spatial Connector as well. It will rotate the spatial signal by as many degrees as you. However, it will not automatically rename the mode as a Y polarized mode.

Profile Photo
      Ahmad Mustafa
      Participant

I have introduced the Spatial Connector block after Polarization Rotator having Rotation Angle= 90 deg. The Spatial Connector has 90 deg Y tilt (to polarize the signal in Y direction) and after the MUX, I can see the two signals on the OSA polarized in X and Y. After the Parabolic-Index MMF, the signal power is dropped down to zero although the length and attenuation values of the MMF is negligible.
      If, however, I take out the Spatial Connector block then everything works fine.

I do not understand the role of Spatial Connector here as I would expect it to just rotate the polarization by 90 deg and it should not have effect on the signal power after the MMF.

Can you please elaborate if I am using this block correctly or if there is some other conceptual issue here?

Attached is my simulation file for your consideration.

Thanks!

Profile Photo
        Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi Ahmad,

The problem here is that Y tilt and Rotation are not describing the same physical position of the two facets. The Y tilt and X tilt change the angle of the transverse plane, which is normal to the direction of propagation. The Rotation parameter actually rotates the transverse plane around the Z axis (propagation direction), this is the parameter you should be changing. I’ve included an example, which is a slightly edited version of yours.

Look at mode 1 at both Spatial Visualizers, the second signal is rotated by 90 degrees. I hope this explains it! If you are having trouble visualizing the 3D model these parameters are describing, let me know and I can make a simple diagram.

Regards

Profile Photo
      Ahmad Mustafa
      Participant

here is the simulation file.

Login You must be logged in to reply to this topic.