Home Forums GENERAL Soliton Transmission in Fiber Optics

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      I want to know about Soliton Transmission in Fiber Optics in optical fiber communication.
      What we exactly mean to Soliton Transmission.
      How could i implement Soliton Transmission using optisystem.
      Because it is future trends in OFC, so we needs to know about it.
      As tThe application of solitons in communication systems opens the way to ultrahigh-speed information superhighways. Transmission speed of order of Tbit/s can be achieved if optical amplifiers are combined with WDM in soliton based communication systems.
      The simulation results for Soliton order N=1 and N=3 are obtained using OptSim Software.
      Could it possible to implement in optisystem software.

Hope you will take interest in this topic.

prakash jat
      Participant

hi rajguru
      see example in tutotrial

syed fareed
      Participant
        Domail Singh
        Participant

Hello Rajguru
        first of all thanks to Syed for sharing these links. I would suggest you to go through the links. These may be of great help.

Regards
        Domail

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

I also suggest you to have a look at the links provided by the Syed… They will surely be of help…

Regards

Ankita Sharma
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

I suggest you to go through the tutorials.. It will surely be of help..

Regards
      Ankita

deepak jha
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

I also believe there are certain examples in tutorials of this topic..

Regards

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi all,
      Thank you all for sharing and posting your links and your comments.
      It is really helpful and important information about soliton-transmission-in-fiber-optics.
      As far I know about soliton transmission and its advantage as :
      1. Because of the unique features of optical solitons, soliton transmission can help to solve other problems of data transmission, like polarization mode dispersion.
      2. Also, when used with frequency guiding filters (sliding guiding filters in particular), the soliton systems provide continuous all-optical regeneration of the signal suppressing the detrimental effects of the noise
      3. Reduces the penalties associated with wavelength-division multiplexed (WDM) transmission.
      4. Because the soliton data looks essentially the same at different distances along the transmission, the soliton type of transmission is especially attractive for all-optical data networking.
      5. Moreover, because of the high quality of the pulses and return-to-zero (RZ) nature of the data, the soliton data is suitable for all-optical processing.

Please comment on above advantages of soliton transmission. are you agree with it not.

Thanks and regards,
      Rajguru

Domail Singh
        Participant

Hello Rajguru

Thank you for sharing such valuable and important information regarding solitons. I hope it is helpful to all members

Regards
        Domail

Domail Singh
      Participant

Hi Yogita
      As mentioned in other post that your replies are not visible so please avoid replying until you are permitted to. Thank you

Regards
      DOmail

deepak jha
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

Thanks for the valuable information soliton-transmission-in-fiber-optics.. Highly appreciate your efforts..

Regards

deepak jha
      Participant

Hi Domail,

Lets hope Yogita understands and stops commenting as of now..

Regards

HI RAJGURU..
      As far I know about soliton transmission and its an advantage because of the unique features of optical solitons, soliton transmission can help to solve other problems of data transmission, like polarization mode dispersion…Also, when used with frequency guiding filters (sliding guiding filters in particular), the soliton systems provide continuous all-optical regeneration of the signal suppressing the detrimental effects of the noise. I hope you find it helpful…

Regards
      FAYIQA

Rahul Tiwari
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

I agree with fayiqa that soliton transmission can help to solve other problems of data transmissions like polarization mode dispersion…

Regards
      Rahul Tewari

shafeen al yasin
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,
      I completely agree with fayiqa. It should be helpful to you.

Regards
      Shafeen

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Fayiqa,
      You have talked about frequency guiding filters; I have read about it.
      Yeah, it is one of useful components in case of Soliton system.
      It adds various advatages as compared to simple filters like:
      Coupling between amplitude and frequency fluctuations that is due to filter sliding,
      enhances timing jitter in soliton transmission controlled by in-line filters.
      It gradually translates the peak frequency of guiding filters along its length,
      we create a fiber transmission line that is substantially opaque to noise while remaining transparent to solitons.
      This allows the use of stronger filters, and hence greater jitter reduction,
      without incurring the usual penalty of exponentially rising noise from the excess gain required to overcome filter loss.
      The sliding-frequency guiding filter causes an improved form of soliton jitter control.
      These filters can guide the soliton pulses to slightly different wavelengths continuously,
      although they are made to be identical.

These advatages all causes to use frequency guiding filters in solitons system.
      Thanks
      Rajguru

Karan Ahuja
        Spectator

Hi ranjeet.

As ranjeet has mentioned rightly that soliton based optical fiber communication systems are more suitable for long haul communication because of their very high information carrying capacity and repeater less transmission.Soliton pulses does not affected(by dispersion) after long distance communication. It is true that the fact that solitons are spatially localized and propagate with (little to) no deformation makes them the carriers of choice for modern optical communication, as they can be used to encode a bit in a small amount of space through the presence or absence of the pulse in a designated temporal window.
        For dispersion compensation you can easily use fiber bragg grating. I will try to attach few links of some papers which have used fiber bragg grating for dispersion compensation.

Thanks

Karan Ahuja
          Spectator

Here is the link of the optiwave sample for dispersion compensation using FBG

Compensation of Dispersion with Fiber Bragg Grating Component

It demonstrates the possibility for dispersion compensation with the help of fiber Bragg Grating created with the Fiber Grating component. This component allows design of apodized and chirped fiber gratings that are able to provide dispersion compensation in optical system.The physical idea behind this compensation is following: creating of an apodised linear chirped grating allows us to create a time delay between different spectral components of the signal.For example, in SMF at 1.55μm, group velocity dispersion creates a negative chirp of the pulses, which means that the higher frequencies (which propagate faster) are in the leading part of the pulse and the lower (propagating slower) in the trailing one because of this different velocity of propagation of different spectral components, the pulse spreads. If we create fiber grating with period linearly reducing along the grating, because the higher frequencies will reflect after longer propagation in the grating a time delay between lower and higher frequency components will appear which is just opposite to this created in the SMF. Therefore propagating and reflecting our pulse in this device will allow to compensate the dispersion broadening of our pulse.
          You may refer to this link and it will surely be of some help.
          Thanks

Karan Ahuja
          Spectator

Soliton based optical fiber communication systems are more suitable for long haul communication because of their very high information carrying capacity and repeater less transmission.Soliton pulses does not affected(by dispersion) after long distance communication.
          The fact that solitons are spatially localized and propagate with (little to) no deformation makes them the carriers of choice for modern optical communication, as they can be used to encode a bit in a small amount of space through the presence or absence of the pulse in a designated temporal window.We have a number of challenges still need to be overcome to arrive at spatially continuous, fine resolution, sensing and actuation, the time seems ripe for the investigation of advanced control techniques for active dispersion management related to Solitons.we could develop an L1 adaptive control scheme for the problem of active dispersion management for propagation of solitons along uncertain fibers.Here are links of some papers you may refer to:
          http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=19690
          http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10297-004-0026-9#/page-1
          http://esatjournals.net/ijret/2014v03/i07/IJRET20140307086.pdf
          http://www.optical-waveguides-modeling.net/Litchinitser/publ-files/JP1_JLT_1997_DC.pdf
          http://www.ijarcce.com/upload/2015/october-15/IJARCCE%2047.pdf
          http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.512.5937&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Thanks

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet,
      I agree to your points that “The application of solitons in communication
      systems opens the way to ultrahigh-speed information superhighways”. Soliton based optical
      communication systems can be used over distances of several thousands
      of kilometers with huge information carrying capacity by using optical
      amplifiers.
      The existence of solitons in optical fibers is the result of a balance between the chirps induced by fiber dispersion characterized by GVD (GroupVelocity Dispersion) coefficient β2and fiber nonlinearity characterized by SPM (self-phase modulation) coefficient γ.
      Analytically soliton is a solution of nonlinear Schrodinger equation describing pulse propagation in optical fiber. Soliton based optical fiber communication systems are more suitable for long haul communication because of their
      very high information carrying capacity and repeater less transmission. Soliton pulses does not affected(by dispersion)
      after long distance communication.
      Soliton communication systems require an optical source capable of
      producing chirp free pico-second pulses at a high repetition rate with
      a shape closest to the “sech” shape. The source should operate in the
      wavelength region near 1.55 µm.
      Early experiments on soliton transmission used the technique of
      gain switching for generating optical pulses of 20–30 ps duration by
      biasing the laser below threshold and pumping it high above threshold
      periodically.

Thanks

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.