Home Forums SYSTEM soliton transmission in DWDM is possible or not?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Selvendran S
      Participant

why always anomalous dispersion region of optical fiber is used for soliton transmission system. Gaussian pulses also can transfer nearly equal distance compare to soliton(sech pulse) if i choosing the signal wavelength between 1550 to 1551nm (accumulated dispersion is +0.1 to +0.3 ps/nm/km) of DSF fiber . in previously reported papers soliton is reshaped by dispersion compensation using DCF ( as like SMF compensation)and attenuation is over come by EDFA amplification to transfer the soliton over the 10000 km. may i know what is the exact purpose of soliton. can i use the soliton for (32 or 64 channel) DWDM system.

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Selvendran,

The exact purpose of soliton systems, in my opinion, is to extend the length of regeneration section. It achieves by reducing the influence of dispersion using ultra-short pulses.

Ravil
      Participant

As it was shown in literature (Agrawal, etc.), the main disadvantage of using DCF with very low dispersion is increasing influence of non-linear effects.

+2
      Selvendran S
      Participant

thankyou ravil… actually what i am asking is if i send gaussian pulse with low input power(to avoid nonlinear) in zero dispersion region, it can also transfer to the long distance. Because it doesn’t face any dispersion or nonlinear over fiber.. is it possible to transfer the soliton over the Normal single mode fiber instead of DSF fiber?. is it possible to transfer the soliton over 30000km?

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi Selvendran,

There are one or two things that will hinder your goals here. As Ravil said, a low power Gaussian will be attenuated by the fiber to a point at which it will be undetectable, which is probably much less than 30 000 km. The other major obstacle is the higher order disperion (B3) or dispersion slope. Even with 0 dispersion, the slope will cause some asymmetric broadening of the pulse.

I get a little confused with your next question as if your pulse is low power it will not experience self phase modulation, which is a fundamental requirement for soliton transmission. However, as SMF-28 is anomalous dispersive it is possible to generate solitons.

+1
      Ravil
      Participant

Good question Selvendran, the part I don’t understand is how do you plan to overcome losses in optical fibers and jitter which are taking during transmission in SMF?

Ravil
      Participant

Agree with Damian about losses and higher order dispersion. Selvendran, if you would like to have any further considerations, pls, upload your scheme.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.