Home Forums SYSTEM Smart Meters

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ravil
      Participant

Dear Optiwave team and forum members,

Does anybody know if any of last versions of OptiSystem have Smart Power Meters (energy meters used customers for energy consumption managing) in their library? Or did anyone try to model them?

Will be thankful for any advices / ideas

Ravil
      Participant

Are there any examples of merging PON and Wi-Fi access, for example? Do we have such a possibility in OptiSystem?

Damian Marek
        Participant

We do not have a direct example of this. Do you have a reference or paper that demonstrates a working system? I might be able to convert it into a working project file.

is there any power meter in bpm as well? sorry to ask ere because I was wondering do we have any measuring tools in bpm as well. thanks.

Damian Marek
        Participant

There are multiple different tools you can use in OptiBPM to measure the signal. In the Simulation->Additional Output Data window you can tell OptiBPM to calculate different quantities and plot them. For instance Relative Power vs Distance.

Regards

Heitor Galvao
      Participant

I am interested

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Damian, these Smart Meters are working based on IEEE 1701 Standard “Optical Port Communication Protocol to Complement the Utility Industry End Device Data Tables”.

Damian Marek
        Participant

The closest component we have is the obvious Optical Power Meter. I tried to get that paper but I guess my IEEE account does not give me access. Is there a difference between the Optical Power Meter we have and the Smart Meters?

Ravil
          Participant

The main difference at physical and channel level is that Smart Meters are used for continuous monitoring of power/energy consumption. Hence, they act like user of channel bandwidth capacity.

Ravil
      Participant

Not sure if can send you the original documents due to copyrights regulations… Let me know if I can.

Ravil
      Participant

Is it possible to substitute electrical Smart Meters with some devices existing in OptiSystem?

Damian Marek
        Participant

I think this application is out of the scope of OptiSystem. Number one reason being the smart meters measure power usage over long periods of time ~hours, while the simulations in OptiSystem can last for ms at most.

Ravil
      Participant

Couple papers describing SM-technology are attached

Ravil
      Participant
      Ravil
      Participant

Thanks for your guidance, Damian!
      Here is my following question: Is there any chance to “compress the process”, i.e., run this hourly procedure during seconds in the software? At least for shortest amount of time and then repeat simulation. Just curious…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.