Home Forums BPM single mode setting…

single mode setting…

Profile Photo
(joined April 2014)
Participant

In opti bpm which setting is considered better or almost definition of the setting to how to recognize the wave guide as single mode or multi-mode? is it reliable? (scalar?, complex or real?, number of mode?)

Responses (3):

In opti bpm which setting is considered better or almost definition of the setting to how to recognize the wave guide as single mode or multi-mode? is it reliable? (scalar?, complex or real?, number of mode?)

Profile Photo
      Damian Marek
      Participant

The Mode solver can be very reliable! Remember though sometimes the user may need to make some changes to the simulator to give a more accurate result much quicker.

Scalar mode solvers will approximate that the two transverse components are independent and thus will find less modes. For example in a optical fiber a scalar mode solver will calculate the LP modes but not the EH and HE modes that constitute the LP modes. These will be calculated by a vector method. Generally if polarization effects are important you should use a vector method.

Whether a complex or real option is chosen will determine whether the mode solver will calculate a complex propagation constant which includes modal loss information.

Since a mode solver generally just solves an eigenvalue equation, it is hard for it to know the number modes that a waveguide should support. This option will tell the solver to assume that waveguide will have x number of modes and try to solve for all of them.

Regards

+2

still I have problem that some times if I choose real in setting I will get single mode other side if I choose the complex I will get at least 2 modes, which one I have to go for? I am not using scalar this time, just follow the defaults but changing the real and complex and I saw the modes will be changed, I need single mode, do I have to change my design and recheck it again in both sides? I mean real and complex should be single mode both?

Profile Photo
        Damian Marek
        Participant

You should be fine with using the real solver. The complex solver would be useful if you materials were defined as lossy materials with a complex index of refraction. If you use a complex solver with real materials the mode solver can find leaky modes, which you are not interested in.

Login You must be logged in to reply to this topic.