Home Forums FDTD Single cell simulation

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Paulo Lourenco
      Participant

Hi guys,

To simulate a single cell like the ones you have on Lesson 21 – 3D Surface Plasmon, subsection Sub-wavelength Holes in Metallic Film, would it be enough to change the boundary conditions from PBC to APML and maybe also the APML tensor parameter?

Scott Newman

Hello Paulo,

Just to be clear on what you are asking for. Lesson 21 walks you through creating an array of holes in the metallic film. Are you asking to create a simulation that will model a metallic film with just one hole in it?

Scott

Paulo Lourenco
      Participant

Hi Scott,

Yes, a metallic film with just one hole.

Thank you.

Scott Newman

Paulo,

You are looking at 2 solutions:

Switching to PML:
      You could move to a PML but you will need to make sure that your PML is not close enough to the hole (a resonant structure) that the loss introduced by the BC will not alter the optical characteristics.
      Your second concern will be that the example in question is using the PBC with the input plan to achieve a plane wave like incidence, you cannot get this with the PML in place so you will need to reconsider your source.

Keeping PBC:
      If you move your PBC out to a sufficient distance that the fields from the hole and any “mirrored” holes does not overlap. This way you would be modelling independent holes and your results could be interpreted as those for a single hole.

My Suggestion:
      I would go with the PBC unless you want to model an actual experimental system in which case I would likely go with the PML and use an input configured to match my experimental source.

Paulo Lourenco
      Participant

Hi Scott,

Right, keeping PBC would most probably lead to an increase of workspace simulation, which on a 3D simulation means more needed resources and longer simulation time; PML would be used for device’s simulation and selecting the input field accordingly…

Thank you for all your help.

Scott Newman

Paulo,

Just use an observation area to ensure that the field from any resonant structure is not overlapped with the PML, it too can alter your results.

Scott

Paulo Lourenco
      Participant

Hi Scott,

You mean use an observation area to monitor overlapping fields? I think I fail to understand. Could you please elaborate a bit more…?

Thank you again.

Scott Newman

I just noticed that my previous response to your question seems to have gone missing. What I mean is that I would create an observation area that cuts through your structure and extends to the boundaries you are concerned with. Then after running a simulation you can view that area and determine if the fields get close to your boundaries or not.

Scott

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.