Home Forums FDTD Simulator not able to allocate enougth memory

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tiago Morgado
      Participant

Hello,
      I am using OptiFDTD 32 bits and when i try to run a simulation wihch requires 2878 Mb of memory the simulator displays a message saying that it will not be able to allocate enough memory.
      However, i have 10 000 Mb of free memory… what i can do to solve this issue?

Best Regards
      Tiago

Scott Newman

First let me just clarify your statement that you have 10 Gb of free memory. Are you referring to RAM or space on your hard drive? I know you are referring to memory (RAM) but I just want to ensure we are all on the same page.

Second you are in fact using a 32 bit product where 32-bit systems are in fact limited to 4 Gb of memory allocation regardless of how much you have available on your machine. On some systems this maximum limit can be even lower depending on how the operating system handles memory allocation. It would appear you are hitting the limit of a 32-bit system. Might I suggest you try the 30-day evaluation of the 64-bit product?

Tiago Morgado
      Participant

Thanks for your reply Scott.
      Yes i’m referring to RAM memory.
      Well even with the system allowing up to 4 Gb i’m not able to use 2.8 Gb… Any advice to reach the limit?
      The 64-bit product how much memory can use?

Best Regards
      Tiago

Scott Newman

The reason you are not getting access to the full 4 Gb is possibly a limitation within your specific operating system and without heavy diagnostics I would not be able to tell you.

Based on Windows 10 documentation a 64-bit product can access anywhere between 128 Gb and 6 Tb depending on the version of windows you are using. Most Windows 10 systems our users are running are either Home (128 Gb) or Pro (2 Tb).

Scott

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.