Home Forums BPM Show the modal field and the waveguide geometry

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      musabtr1
      Participant

Dear all,

Would you please help me to show both of the model field ( Amplitude or intensity ) and waveguide geometry in the one graph for mode solver. I want to see the percentage of confinement for the beam inside the Waveguide.

Damian Marek
      Participant

One possible way would be to export the fields and refractive index profile to a program like MATLAB. In the OptiMODE Analyzer application you can right click the modes and refractive index profiles for this option.

Regards

is there anyway to do it straight ahead with BPM?

Damian Marek
        Participant

Sure, you can use the Additional Output Data window in the Simulation tab to calculate confinement factor of the field with respect to the waveguide boundaries or fundamental mode.

Cheers

would you please let me know more in detail? I totally confuse? which step I need to follow?

musabtr1
      Participant

Damian Mark,

right now, I’m using mode solver. can I measure polarization and group index for my Design.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi,

The mode solver will give the different components of the field as well as a description of the type of mode TE/TM or depending on the mode solver it might give the EH/HE fiber mode titles as well.

The mode solver solves for the mode index/effective index, whereas the group index is related to the group velocity. You can calculate it by running a sweep of the wavelength and finding it from the slope of the mode index.

Cheers!

musabtr1
      Participant

Thanks a lot Damian,

I am trying to solve a set of waveguide dimensions, is there any possible way to involve the polarization effect in the group index.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi,

Yes the effective index will be given for different modes of the waveguide, the different polarizations I mentioned above. Two modes with different polarizations will probably have different effective indices (if the waveguide is asymmetrical) and then you can plot these as a function of wavelength and extract the different group indices from there.

Regards,
        Damian

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.