• Author
      Ravil
      Participant

Dear Optiwave team and Forum members,

What is the best Optiwave software to design
      1.MZM (with 3dB couplers for example)
      2.LEDs and laser diods with given materials and requirements
      3.Coupled Resonant Optical Waveguides and Mux/Demux based on AWG

I don’t have a lot of experience with any of Optiwave products beside OptiSystem, so let me know about you opinion/experience, pls!

Ravil
      Participant

Can anybody see this message? Just want to make sure. I’ve chosen BPM software for #1. Looks like it will works for #2 and #3. Am I right?

Damian Marek
        Participant

OptiBPM would be the software of choice for #1 and #3. For #2 it depends on what exactly you want to simulate and in fact since I believe you would want information about the cavity (reflections) you would need to use an FDTD approach (OptiFDTD).

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Yes I have seen the message.

Ravil
      Participant

ok, thanks for your replies! Damian, just want to make sure if OptiSPICE has an opportunity to work with materials design or it’s for simulations at the scheme/circuit level, like e.g. PSPICE?

Damian Marek
        Participant

OptiSPICE is definitely geared towards circuit level design, which include optical component and interconnects (waveguides, micro rings). As for material design in some ways it might, but I think from your description you really want to declare the exact physical structure and materials used to determine some type of result, which might be out of the scope for OptiSPICE. I would need to know a little more about what exactly you want to simulate to give you a straighter answer!

Ravil
      Participant

ok, thanks for your elaboration. As a part of my project I want to

“Design and Simulate GaN/InGaN or GaN/AlGaN LEDs array with 6 elements for example”

Damian Marek
        Participant

Are you interested in it’s electrical characteristics? The modes of the cavity? The reason for these questions is that OptiFDTD can accurately model the passive optical materials but cannot simulate active materials.

Damian Marek
          Participant

I should say that OptiFDTD cannot model electrical interactions with the material. You can model gain by using a complex index of refraction.

Ravil
          Participant

Yes, I’m definitely interested in modes of cavity in sources being designed.

Ravil
      Participant

ok, thanks. I can start with OptiFDTD then. By the way, can you, please, guide me to similar (or close to it) examples from Optiwave tutorials/lessons?

Damian Marek
        Participant

We have some on our website here:

Introduction

and in your installation folder there should be a OptiFDTD tutorials pdf.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.