Home Forums SYSTEM Samples Per Bit

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Gokul Boro .
      Participant

Hi all,
      In the layout parameters there is a parameter termed “Samples Per Bit”. Now what does this mean? And how does this affect the simulation process. Does it have any impact on the bandwidth of the designed system?
      Please let me know how to set it.
      Thank You.

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi Gokul,
      samples per bit or Number of samples for bit used to discretize the sampled signals. It must be a power of two. it depends on sampling frequency that you are taking. Thanks.

Regards,
      Dhiman

alistu
      Participant

Hi Gokul,

As you know, the signals are not processed as continuous-form signals. So this parameters determine the number of samples you want to be taken from each bit and this has to be compatible with Nyquist’s sampling theorem or otherwise, the signal cannot be reconstructed from samples. Also, the more the number of samples, the easier the signal is sometimes reconstructed and therefore, the better the system performance.

regards

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Gokul,

The theory underlying your question is quiet broad and related to the quality of your transmission system. Two very good answers were given by Alistu and Dhiman. From myself, I would like to add that extra sampling is often used for the cases with high power penalties that you might have in your channel. In these cases, extra sampling can increase the power of the received signal and, therefore, increase your OSNR.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.