Home Forums SYSTEM RF impairments

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      What is RF impairments, is there any relation of RF impairments with DC offset. How to calculate in using MATLAB. please anyone help. Thanks in advance.

Regards

alistu
      Participant

Hi Prarthana,

A lot of RF impairments can be compensated using DSP component. RF impairments can be classified into gain and phase mismatch, carrier phase and frequency synchronization errors, power amplifier nonlinearities and phase noise. I think you can find more about simulating them with Matlab by searching in Mathworks website (I haven’t mentioned the links, as they are fairly easy to find).

Regards

Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Hi alistu,
      yes we can do cancel all the impairments that occur in the transmission of data over the fiber using the DSP block as it is comprised of so many algorithms. If we can know the the exact reason for all of these then we can look for technique that will help us to cancel without the use of DSP. Thank you Alistu for the reply it really helps upto some extent.

Regards

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome. It is indeed good to know about the impairments even if you’re going to use the DSP component. In order to know more about some of DSP functions, you can visit the following forum topic in which I have explained a few impairment compensations:

optiwave.com/forums/topic/dsp-block/

Regards

Prarthana Kashyap
          Participant

Thanks Alistu for the suggestion, i will go through the link you have provided. Is there there any possibility to do in the transmitter side so that there is less RF impairment in the receiver section and can avoid this issue. I know the complexity of the transmitter will be increased of the transmitter and cost also. I am asking you because in most of the cases the high speed transmitter is needed at the center station and if we can solve the issue in server or base station side the the cost at the user terminal will be very less (that will attarct the users to go for such a system).

regards

alistu
          Participant

You’re welcome Prarthana. Based on the modulation scheme you have used in your system, there might be equalization methods in order to help reduce the effect of the aforementioned (for example for some synchronization problems in coherent systems). However, a part of the equalizers is being implemented at the receiver side of the system.

Regards

Prarthana Kashyap
          Participant

Thank you so much Alistu I will take care of this. do you have any snapshot or example for the same please attach here.

regards

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.