Home Forums FDTD reduce simulation time

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Yun Dong
      Participant

I’m working on simulation of gold nanoparticles smaller than 100nm using OptiFDTD 13 (windows 7).
      I have a question:

In my case, I need to place a lot of gold nanoparticles on the lateral surface of a cylindrical resonator with diameter larger than 16um. (usually 16~20um) However, I know that the mesh size for nanoparticles should be <=5nm. Though I apply non-uniform mesh size to make the mesh size to be 5nm in the region where I put the particles and keep mesh size about 0.05um for the particle-free region, the number of mesh cells are very large. Furthermore, since I’m simulating a resonator, I need to run more than the auto calculated times, which is also a very large number. The simulation is very time-consuming. I wonder is there any way to reduce the simulation time?

Scott Newman

Hello Yun Dong,

It would appear you have done what you can to minimize your simulation resources, in reality your simulation specifications are simply going to require significant computational resources. That being said you may be able to play with some of the symmetries within your simulation to reduce computational requirements. If you could zip up your design and attach it we can take a look and see what your options are.

Scott

Yun Dong
      Participant

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply, but I can not zip up my design for some reason. Since the nano-particles are randomly placed on the resonator, I believe I can not utilize any symmetry.

However, I find the statement saying that “OptiFDTD 64-bit Linux simulator can be easily deployed on any Linux cluster to further reduce simulation time and extend usable memory. ” I wonder what is “Linux simulator”, is this the same OptiFDTD 13 software but based on the Linux system? And how can I get this simulator?

I find “simulate with linux” item in the menu, as shown in the picture. If I want to do long time simulation on a Linux cluster, does it mean that I need to buy the OptiFDTD 13.0 64-bit Linux simulator first and export the 3D project file and then run it using the Linux simulator?

Thanks,
      Yun

Attachments:
      Scott Newman

Hello Yun,

The Linux simulator is a product that works together with the 64-bit OptiFDTD product and yes both would need to be purchased. I encourage you to reach out to our sales team at sales@optiwave.com where you can discuss licensing options with them. Please note that when you do contact them you should know what distribution of Linux you are either using or plan on using.

Scott

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.