Home Forums SYSTEM Rectangular optical filter

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      sindhu kadirvel
      Participant

What is the transfer function or formula used for designing rectangular optical filter in optisystem?pls help

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi, it is simply a flat-top filter with a certain bandwidth, rectangular shape.
      For example, if you select in its parameters Frequency=1550nm and Bandwidth=2nm, when you enter with a WhiteNoise Source, the output is a rectangular source with equal power between 1549nm and 1551nm.

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Sindhu,

I agree with the asnwer given above by Alessandro. The only thing I would like to add, according to your question, that the transfer function of this filter will be a well-known step-function. This function can be described by various polynomials. The higher the orders of this polynomials the closer this function will be to a step function. Please, see following links as examples:
      https://www.andovercorp.com/products/bandpass-filters/standard/193-299nm/
      https://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/resources/white_paper_waveshaper_filter_bandwidth_definition.pdf

sindhu kadirvel
      Participant

Thanks for the reply.It was really useful Ravil and Alessandro Festa.
      Ravil can u pls tell me the difference between rectangular optical filter and guassian optical filter too.It will be really helpful.Thanks in advance.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Hi Sindhu Kadrivel
      Gaussian optical filter is basically ideal time domain filter with minimum group delay.These filters filter out the signal with very less rise and fall time with no overshoot.Where as rectangular filter explained well by Ravil and Alessandro.

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Sindhu,

According to your last question about the difference between Gaussian and rectangular filters, I agree with the explanation given by Sam Sung. I just want to add from me that, according to a theory, your final filter choice will depend on shape of pulses that you have in your system. Here I mean that the “Matched filters” should be used for best filtration: the shape of your pulses should always match the shape of your filter’s impulse response!

sindhu kadirvel
      Participant

Thanks Ravil for ur kind reply

Ravil
      Participant

You are welcome, Sindhu! I was glad to share my knowledge (as much as I can) with you and give you some guidance. Good luck with your work and research!

LALIT VERMA
      Participant

if the transmitter is using NRZ type of data then rectangular filter is going to give optimum o/p

Ravil
        Participant

Yes, Lalit, you are right. And the same situation will be for transmitter using RZ coding. The shape of filter’s impulse response should always match the shape of pulses at the transmitter.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.