Home Forums FIBER Quality Factor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Muhammad Fazlani
      Participant

Hello friends,

I simulated for both DCF and Fiber brag grating to compare both techniques and DCF quality factor has come to be 45.5 and fiber brag grating Q.F is 51 so just wanted to ask can my Q.F be that much maximum ? what is its range and what it is actually telling ?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Muhammad,

The more the Q-factor, the better the system performance in terms of bit error rate. In practical systems, maximum acceptable BER is 10e-9 to 10e-12 in many cases, which correspond to Q-factor of 6 to 9. If you have achieved such high values for Q-factor, you can increase you system distance or bit rate to the point where Q-factor reaches a value near the aforementioned values.

Regards

Muhammad Fazlani
      Participant

Hello,

I have tried both but still couldn’t get my Q factor between 6 to 7. would you kindly see and help ? i have attached my file

alistu
        Participant

I have attached your file with some changes made in the reach and bit rate. The link has become 66km with the bit rate being 50Gbps, so that the Q-factor is a number between 6 and 7, as you desired. I haven’t changes values of any other parameters from any other components. Please see if it helps.

Regards

Attachments:
      Muhammad Fazlani
      Participant

hELLO,

Thanks for your response and yes q factor is 6 to 7 now but why there is lot of distortion ? i have used dcf here so it should be clear. As you can see in the file which i have attached above where although Q Factor is high but there is less distortion.

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome. Your system had a much higher Q-factor than the one I have attached in which the bit rate has increased and the length of the fibers has been extended, so it should be expected that the performance is not as good. However, Q-factor between 6 and 9 is acceptable for most of the communication systems, and you can increase it again by decreasing the reach and/or bit rate.

Regards

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.