Home Forums SYSTEM Q-factor

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      MHD NA
      Participant

i made optical communications system “RoF” and achieved Q=16.22, and this value is not acceptable in practical system which has Q-factor values between 6-9…..how can i make my obtained value reasonable?

Regards,

alistu
      Participant

Hi Mohammad,

The more the Q-factor, the better the system performance. The least acceptable amount of Q-factor for practical systems is 6-9. This means that you have to design a system with Q-factor more than this, so the Q-factor you have obtained is pretty good and is acceptable for practical purposes.

Regards

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Dear Mohammed, a better Q-factor means a lower Bit Error Ratio, so better performances…this means that a Q-factor higher than 6-9 is more even more “acceptable”.

MHD NA
      Participant

but the value 16 can’t be achieved in practical

alistu
        Participant

It is not as if it cannot be achieved in practice. It may be achieved, but since there is always a compromise between the system characteristics, it may be compromised to improve some other characteristic of the system. For example, you can increase your bit rate to the point that you get Q-factor=9 or 6.

MD TAUFEEQ AHMED
      Participant

how do we measure Q factor with respect to bit period (in time)? i mean how to read the graph.i have attached the plot

Attachments:
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.