Home Forums SYSTEM Processing in MATLAB

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..
      Does MATLAB component do processing in electrical domain only?
      Does that mean if the signal type at both input and output port of the MATLAB component is optical, it is internally converted to electrical form for processing and then again converted to optical domain such that the original signal format is regained?

Regards.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi naazira,

itz is not like that,

when implementing the matlab module to be simulated in optisystem, there must be some input and output to this module.

it depends on the type of of module you are implementing that which signal(optical or electrical) the module accepts as input. and what is output of module.

in simple terms, matlab module can deal in both electrical and optical and even binary signals in optisystem.

with regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Aasif
      Thanks for replying.

Yes, I understood that from the properties of the MATLAB component that it can accept optical, electrical, binary and even M-ary signals. But actually I came across this pdf:

file:///C:/Users/vaio%20i3/Downloads/Matlab%20Electrical%20Example.pdf

So I thought, it processes in electrical domain only.

Regards.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi naazira,

the link you have attached is of downloaded pdf in in your computer.THis link can not be openned.

with regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Aasif.

My bad. I’m sorry for posting wrong.

But I just now got my confusion cleared.
      I found this link which cleared by confusion:

https://optiwave.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Matlab-Optical-Example.pdf?51da48

That must have been a separate pdf just to explain handling electrical components. I thought that’s the only PDF related to this topic.
      Apologies for any inconvenience if caused.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hi naazira,
        If so could you please throw some light about the processing domains of the MATLAB modules..

Regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Naazira,

The number of ports and the type of the signal is determined in OptiSystem Matlab component in the properties window in “inputs’ and “outputs” tans for the input and output signals respectively. However, the codes used by the user should be consistent with the type of signal that is chosen in the aforementioned tabs.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      Naazira I am not sure about the processing domain of the so created MATLAB module. Had it been a component of optisystem itself then it could have been a different scenario. I guess it would depend on parameters that you have used for the creation of the MATLAB module. I presume that if your module functions just like any component in optisystem say amplifiers than it is very difficult to tell which domain it is working in. Hope it helps.

Regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aabid,

I agree with you on the fact that the format of the vectors and structures used in Matlab codes must concur with the type of signal. However, the signal type is not determined by the codes. The type of signals is determined by “Matlab component” which is actually a component of OptiSystem.

Regards

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Hi Alistu,
          Yeah i completely agree with you that the signal type is not determined by the codes. Anyway it was helpful discussion.
          Thank you.

Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Aabid. But once you choose to use a MATLAB component in Optisystem. After checking the component properties, you are able to select the no. of inputs and outputs and also the input/ output signal formats. So the processing domain is correspondingly decided.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Okay thank you so much for sharing these valuable points.

Naazira Badar
      Participant

You ‘re welcome. 😀

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,

matlab module can be any thing,

example; we can implement pin diode using matlab , whose input is optical and provides the electrical input,
      we can implement any decision making device in which matlab module accepts optical signal as input and based on some power threshold can binary output.

with regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aasif,

Normally, the “OutputPort1=InpotPort1;” command is used in OptiSystem Matlab component as the first line of the program to produce output vectors and structures. I would like to know how these vectors should be created conveniently when the signal types of input and output vectors differ. Thank you.

Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Aasif..
      I understood. It is dependent on the function / operation we want to implement using it.

Regards.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

you are welcome

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.