Home Forums GENERAL PRF/PRR

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      muhammad jawad
      Participant

dear friends
      please tell me what is the difference between data rate and pulse repetition rate if there is 10gbps source?
      regards
      jawad

Damian Marek
      Participant

They are not always directly related and can depend on the type of modulation being used. Pulsed lasers can have a PRR but they are not transmitting any data so they would have 0 Gbps bit rate. PPR is the number of pulses per second being transmitted and the data rate is the amount of data being sent per second. A 10 gbps would have a data rate of 10 gigabits per second, but without knowing the modulation format you cannot say anything about the PRR.

If the modulation format was say phase shift keying then you could say the PRR is 10GHz, since each pulse corresponds to one bit of data.

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear sir D Marek
      Best explanation given by you and i got almsot everything except on query will make me cheerful.
      Plz see the attachment.

in my case,i am also using Gaussian Pulsed laser which is being fed by 10Gbps PRBS.The out of the directly modulated pulsed laser will be gaussian pulses.In my opinion the data rate of the Transmitting block is 10Gbps.How the pulsed laser is not transmitting the data as per your above comment? As i am using OOK modulation(by default because for bit “1/High” from PRBS the pulse laser give a pulse and vice versa for bit “0/Low” in this set up,then its means that bit rate and PRF both are same?????
      plz reply
      regards

Attachments:
      Damian Marek
      Participant

I meant a pulse laser for purposes other than communications like in laser ablation. In your case the system has a well defined bit rate and a related pulse repetition rate.

muhammad jawad
      Participant

ok sir

thanks a lot for clearing the concept

regards

your sincere

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.