Home Forums SYSTEM Predistortion

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jamal
      Participant

Hi all,
      Is there any Sample in optisystem that uses predistortion component ? I want to know its function in linearising the response of MZM.

Hello Jamal,

I don’t think so. Atleast not in the Optisystem v13 samples. You may private message Damian. He may be able to help you regarding this.

Best Wishes

Burhan

Jamal
      Participant

Thank you Burhan

Damian Marek
      Participant

Jamal,

The predistortion component applies a function to input signal. The allowed types are arcsin and polynomial. Polynomial is the general predistorion since using a taylor series most functions can be easily approximated. The arcsin is used because MZMs modulate an optical signal according to the sin of the voltage on both branches.If you predistort your electrical signal with an arcsin then the MZMs sin distortion will cancel it out and give a nice linear response.

This effect is hard to see with NRZ modulations but becomes more apparent if a Triangle pulse generator is used. This MZM distortion is also what causes the levels of different QAM symbols to have different separations in amplitude. The constellation diagram will not appear square for large input voltages.

Check the screenshot I attached.

Damian

Attachments:
      Jamal
      Participant

Damian, can you suggest how this predistorter would be employed to mitigate the nonlinearity introduced by an MZM ?

preben
      Participant

I think you may consider using the co-simulation with matlab, the implementation of predistorter in matlab.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.