Home Forums GENERAL power Threshold Level

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello everyone,
      I wish to ask if there is some provision of developing a Module that could monitor power threshold levels in optisystem. Or let me put it this way , can we use a module which could allow transmission of optical signals which are well within set threshold and totally disallow those which are either below lower threshold level or above it..?
      Thanking you in advance
      Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi aabid,
      i guess there may not be such component in optisystem,
      how ever i think you can develop such module in matlab or C++ , where you can check the power level and compare tht with threshold.and based on that take some decision

with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello asif,
        Can you please suggest me something. I am not able to crack what and how exactly i am going to do it. One thing is sure that i need to use an adaptive filter. Now the problem lies that how can i create or develop a controlling function that would work upon the power levels of the optical signals. I would appreciate your suggestions.
        Regards

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

Hi Aabid..
      I agree with aasif that there is no such component in optiwave.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello zulkarnain,
        I know there is no such component in the optisystem library but i just need suggestions that how would it be possible. As i mentioned in the above comment that i need to use an adaptive filter. Now the problem lies that how can i create or develop a controlling function that would work upon the power levels of the optical signals.
        regards

Hi Aabid

I would suggest u to crack it by using a matlab component and program your algorithm of how u want to select your power signals and set the threshold in the Program itself. But before writing a code i would suggest u to analyse the signals from adaptive filter and then make the code accordingly. moreover do take care to mention the ports of your matlab component respectively in the code itself. You can easily us ‘if’, ‘else’ commands to carry on your code. That is always an easiest way out.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello burhan num mina llah,
        thanks for your reply and response. I appreciate your suggestions as it is very helpful.
        But here i want to ask can i control the power levels of optical signals using MATLAB??
        is it logical and implementable.. I got your point there but i am uncertain about it.. Please i need some suggestions regarding this.
        regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi burhan num mina llah and aabid,

i also previously mentioned the use of matlab component for the same problem.

now it seem you have got it how to do that(from ypur previous comment). would you please the same idea how would you do that using adaptive filters.

first of all clarify to me where do we have adaptive filters in the optisystem.

with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello asif,
        It is obvious whatever your requirement is cannot be fulfilled by optisystem all the time. The modules or components that are not available can be only implemented by either MATLAB or now C++.
        There is no filter as adaptive filter but it was just a suggestion to develop and use adaptive filter. I take suggestions of everyone. Please you can suggest few ways that can help me out..

regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi aabid,
      i thought you might have some novel idea, that is why i asked for the discussion.

with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello asif,
        It would be an interesting topic to discuss regarding this adaptive filter. As far as i am concerned adaptive is related to something which could monitor and change accordingly and as per the system requirements. There is a lot we can do and develop just like adaptive filters , adaptive gratings and so on….
        I hope you would feel the same.
        regards

Hi aabid,
          well aabid what i understand from the query u have made i presume u can’t stop an optical signal completely from transmission, the signals will be there even if u are able to do so. In case of WDM system which i am presuming u need to implement this logic has in any case all the signals present even after many stages of filtration. What u require is a suppressor ( controller ) which might help u in this case.
          thanks and regards

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Hello fayiqa,
          Thanks for your concern. You are right in saying that all the signals will be transmitted but i want to improvise on power levels of the signals and set up a threshold values for every signal. if it has power beyond threshold then the signal output/response will be considered and if its below threshold then the output will be null. As of now i don’t know if this logic can be implemented that’s why i asked for suggestions. Anyway , thanks.

Regards

Hi All

What i wanted to convey was that with adaptive filter you colud make it programmable as rightly put forth by Aabid and regarding the code Aabid i would suggest u first set the threshold u want to and then change the number of outputs of your Matlab component to two So that the part of the signal u want to be transmitted is connected to rest part of your network and the signal u want not to be transmitted is fed to some sink. And in code i would suggest you to first write the algorithm of How you want your signals to flow that will make it easier for you to program in matlab. Rest I am not that good to help u in programming.

Best Regards

Burhan

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.