Home Forums GENERAL POWER BUDGET OF AN FSO SYSTEM

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..

Can anyone help me in calculating the power budget of an FSO system? Also, for an indication of a reliable system, should the power budget be low or high?

Regards.

Hi Naazira

i believe it depends on the system and varies accordingly. ideally we want power budget of our systems to be high and as far as FSO is concerned i found the following paper that might provide some help as it calculates power budget for three different weather conditions. i hope it proves helpful.

best Regards

Burhan

Attachments:
      +15
      aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi naazira,

isuggest to go for the below links, hope they might help for power budget optimization of FSO.

System Design – Power Budget

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.3643589

with regards

alistu
      Participant

Hi Naazira,

Power budget can be calculated with regard to Q-factor of the received signal (which determines the received power). When the received power is known, all power losses from transmission point to reception point should be considered so as to determine the required launched power. So the launched power being high or low very much depends on system configuration.

Regards

Hi naazira

Power budget of a system is the difference between the transmitter power and the receiver sensitivity of your system.
      And you can check the reliability of your system by comparing the value of your power budget with the total losses in your system.
      Make sure that your power budget is high enough to cater all the losses.

We cannot generalize the value of the budget to be high or low.Some systems demand a high value of budget which means that they are using high power transmitters while in some systems it is not possible to use high power levels and power budget of these systems will be low.

Regards

+6
      alistu
      Participant

Hi Naazira,

I strongly advise you to go through optiSystem lab assignment (lesson2), where power budget is discussed if you still have doubts regarding the concept. You can download the instructions .pdf file from the link below:

OptiSystem Lab Assignments

Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..
      Thanks for replying.

Hi Fayiqa..Thanks for your response.
      Do you mean to say..if we have two systems and power budget of both is sufficing the system reliability, we can’t make the comparison on the basis of the power budget to decide which system is better? As in.. as long as received power is above the Rx sensitivity, it doesn’t really matter how much above the value is ?
      I hope I have put my query clearly.

Regards.

+2
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Alistu..

Thanks. I’d check it.
      Regards

Hi Naazira

Some systems with a high value of complexity demand a high value of power budget to consider the effect of all the losses.While a system which is less complex may have a low value of power budget.But this does’t mean the system which is less complex is less reliable just because it has low value of power budget.
      Hope it answers your query.

Regards

+1
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Fayiqa..

Thanks for responding . Yes. I understood that.What I meant to ask was whether we could compare the efficiency of systems based on power budget?

Regards.

alistu
        Participant

Hi Naazira,

Comparison of two systems can be made in such a way. For example, active optical networks make more use of power in their structure, whereas passive optical networks make use of passive components in their nodes. Therefore, less use of power is a positive characteristic of passive optical networks.

Regards

Hi naazira.

Yes as long as you compare two similar systems you can compare the efficiency of the two based on the values of power budget.But again it would depend on your system requiremnets and design whether a high value of budget is efficient or a system with a lower value is more efficient.We cannot generalize that all systems that have a high value of power budget are more realiable.

Regards

+1
        Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello fayiqa,
        You made a good and very important point here regarding efficiency determining power budget and vice-versa. I completely agree with you with what you mentioned. We cannot generalize that all systems that have a high value of power budget are more realiable.

Regards

+1
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

okay..Fayiqa and Alistu.
      Thanks for replying.

Regards.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.